1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector subspace question

1. Oct 4, 2004 #1

phy

Hi guys. I need some help with question #5 from my assignment. If someone can just tell me how to get the question started, it would be great. Thanks :smile:

http://img34.exs.cx/img34/8320/algebra1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2
    If A, B and C generate U then e*A +f*B + g*C generates every element in U (in this case that a b c d matrix). Of course you know this already seeing as you did the rest of those. What does VecR(A, B, C) mean? No linear alg. book I've ever worked with uses that notation.

4. Oct 4, 2004 #3

phy

I'm not 100% sure on this either but somebody who I spoke to said that VecR(A, B, C) is just a spanning set. I couldn't find it in my textbook either.

So would I just set e*A +f*B + g*C equal to the matrix with entries a b c d and then solve?

5. Oct 4, 2004 #4
    Ok that's what I figured. Yeah and you should get some sort of proportionality between the four and not a numerical answer once you solve it out.

6. Oct 4, 2004 #5

phy

Alrightie I'll do that. Thanks a lot =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?