Is W1 a Vector Subspace?

In summary, the set W1 = {(x1,x2,x3): x1=x2=x3=0} is a vector subspace since it satisfies the definition of a subspace by being closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. Since there is only one element in this set, checking for closure under addition and scalar multiplication only requires one case, which is when the element is the zero vector. This generalizes to any vector space, where there are two trivial subspaces - the whole space and the space containing only the zero vector.
andrey21
Is the following a vector subspace

W1 {(x1,x2,x3): x1=x2=x3=0}

I usually begin my attempt by finding two members of the set then check which axioms are valid.However I can only think of 1:

(0,0,0)

Any help would be great thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're right that there is only one element in that set.

Normally, to show a set is a subspace, you must show that certain properties hold for all elements of the set. So you take two arbitrary elements, and check the properties. But here there is only one choice for an arbitrary element so you only have to check this one case: 'for all v in W' means 'for v=0'.

Hope that makes some sense...

Ok so when checking if set is closed under addition should I just do the following:

(0,0,0)+(0,0,0)=(0,0,0)

and scalar multiplication:

2.(0,0,0) = (0,0,0)

Exactly that!

In fact, what you doing generalises to any vector space at all (which is an abstract structure in which you can add and multiply by scalars in case you haven't met the general definition; check wiki for more). In any vector space there are two subspaces, called the trivial subspaces. One of them is the whole space, and one of them is the space containing only the zero vector, which is the one you're looking at (the zero vector is defined by v+0=v for all vectors v).

1. What is a vector subspace?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains vectors that can be added, multiplied by scalars, and satisfy the closure property.

2. How do you test if a subset is a vector subspace?

To test if a subset is a vector subspace, you need to check if it satisfies the three properties of a vector subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. What is the difference between a vector space and a vector subspace?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space, whereas a vector space is a set of vectors that can be added and multiplied by scalars. A vector subspace must also contain the zero vector and satisfy the closure properties, while a vector space does not have these restrictions.

4. Can a vector space have more than one vector subspace?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple vector subspaces. Any subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector subspace can be considered a vector subspace.

5. How do I find the basis of a vector subspace?

To find the basis of a vector subspace, you can use the spanning set method or the linear independence method. The spanning set method involves finding a set of vectors that span the subspace, while the linear independence method involves finding a set of linearly independent vectors in the subspace.