1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector subspace

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How would one determine if a vector space is a subspace of another one? I think that the basis vectors of the subspace should be able to be formed from a linear combination of the basis vectors of the vector space.

However, that doesn't seem to be true for this question: Let matrix A consist of column vectors (1,2,-3), (-4,-4,4) and (6,2,-8) with eigenvalues -2 and -5. I found e1=(2,3,1) and e2=(1,0,-1).

The linear space spanned by e1 and e2 is denoted by V. Prove that, for any vector x belonging to V, the vector Ax also belongs to V. I tried forming any of the column vectors in matrix A through a linear combination of e1 and e2 but that seems to fail. Instead, the answer is this: Let x=ae1+be2. Ax=A(ae1+be2)=aAe1+bAe2=-2ae1-5ae2. I understand this but why doesn't my method work?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't Ax = -2ae1-5be2 a linear combination of the vectors e1 and e2?

4. May 27, 2015 #3
    Ax=a(1,2,-3)+b(-4,-4,4)+c(6,2,-8) and V contains Ax. So wouldn't de1+fe2=(1,2,-3) or (-4,-4,4) or (6,2,-8)?

5. May 27, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about it: as x ranges over S = R3 (the whole space), Ax ranges over S as well (because for any y in S the equation Ax = y has a unique solution). However, your defined subspace V (= set of all linear combinations of e1 and e2) is only two-dimensional, so cannot contain all three rows of A. In other words, a two-dimensional space is not a three-dimensional space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted