Proving Inclusion of Vector Subspaces in W: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for the union of two vector subspaces U and V to be a subspace of a larger vector space W. The question is how to prove that either U or V must be contained in the other, using an example of a line and plane in R^3. The conversation also mentions finding a basis of the union and using it to show that the union is not a vector space, leading to a contradiction. Finally, it is suggested to think about the example further in order to come up with a proof.
Oster
If U and V are vector subspaces of W and if U union V is also a subspace of W, how would i show that either U or V is contained in the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an intuition for how it works?
(If you don't, think of say a line and plane in R^3. When is their union also a vector space?)
Then try translating that image into a proof.

If U and V were not contained in each other, you could find a basis of their union of the form

[tex]u_1,\dots,u_a,v_1,\dots,v_b,w_1,\dots,w_c[/tex]

where the u's belong to U, the v's belong to V and the w's belong to the intersection (if this is not a zero dimensional space). Consider for example the vector

[tex]u_1+v_1[/tex]

This vector can't belong to the union of U and V, because the basis above is composed of linearly independent vectors. So the union of U and V is not a vector space, a contraddiction.

@ Simon Tyler. yeah I've thought about those examples, like when the line is on the plane or one of the subspaces is the zero vector. But giving examples doesn't prove it..
Thanks a lot Petr. More questions to come soon =D

@ Oster: I was hoping that thinking about that example would lead you to a proof like Petr's. Basically, you're question sounds like a homework problem -- which isn't helped by your small number of posts to these forums. These forums are not a place for homework help. I apologize if I've got you wrong and it as a genuine question.

1. What is a vector subspace?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors form a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors form a subspace, you must check if the set satisfies the three main properties of a vector subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. Can a vector subspace contain only one vector?

Yes, a vector subspace can contain only one vector, as long as that vector is the zero vector. This is because the zero vector is required to be in any vector subspace.

4. What is the difference between a vector subspace and a vector space?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space, while a vector space is a set of vectors that also satisfies those properties. In other words, a vector subspace is a smaller version of a vector space.

5. Can a vector subspace have a dimension greater than the original vector space?

No, a vector subspace cannot have a dimension greater than the original vector space. The dimension of a subspace must be less than or equal to the dimension of the original vector space, as the subspace is a subset of the vector space.