1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector subspaces

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(x,y,z) where 2x + 2y + z = 1

Is this set a subspace of R^3?

3. The attempt at a solution

I am thinking it is not since it does not contain the origin since
    2(0)+2(0) + 0 = 1
    0 != 1
    (!= means not equal)
    Am I right? I am kind of having trouble with this part of linear algebra since the textbook is so vague about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is enough to show that this set is not a subspace of R3. BTW, the set is a plane in R3.

4. Mar 7, 2014 #3
    Yea I know that, but how can I prove that something is a subspace of R^3? I know that proof against is easier, since you only need one tuple to disprove. But to do you need to do anything extra?

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4

Mark44

To prove that a subset of a vector space (such as R3) is actually a subspace of that vector space, you need to show three things:
    1. The zero vector is an element of the set.
    2. If u and v are arbitrary elements of the set, then u + v is also an element of the set. (This shows that the set is closed under vector addition.)
    3. If u is an arbitrary element of the set, and k is a scalar, then ku is also an element of the set. (This shows that the set is closed under scalar multiplication.)
    That's it.

It's a lot more work to show that a set together with two operations (vector addition and scalar multiplication) is actually a vector space - you have to verify that all 10 or so vector space axioms are satisfied. If the set already belongs to a vector space, then all you need to verify are the three I listed above.

6. Mar 7, 2014 #5
    Thanks, I figured it out, and kind of on the same subject. If you are given u = (1,2,-1,1), v = (2,-1,1,0), and w = (-1,2,0,3) write x = (2,-3,-2,-8) as a linear combination of u,v, and w. I really don't know where to start, the text book gives examples of 3 3D vectors, not 3 4D vectors so how would I go ()u + ()v + ()w if you have 4 values for x?

7. Mar 7, 2014 #6
    You can use good old row reduction to do this. Set up an augmented matrix whose first three columns are ##u, v, w##. Then make the last column ##x##. Then row reduce this.

Note: You could also do it by inspection, although that is harder and may require a lot of playing around/ getting lucky.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. Mar 7, 2014 #7

Mark44

To elaborate on what kduna said, start with this vector equation:
    $$\begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ -3 \\ -2 \\ -8\end{bmatrix} = c_1\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 2 \\ -1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} + c_2\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\0 \end{bmatrix} + c_3\begin{bmatrix}-1 \\ 2 \\ 0 \\ 3 \end{bmatrix}$$

Your job is to find the three constants c1, c2, and c3 - the coordinates of x in terms of the vectors u, v, and w.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted