Vector Subtraction and Topology

In summary: I meant that the teacher might have meant something else than the OP means he meant. Don't you mean?I don't know what you mean. Could you elaborate?I don't know what you mean. Could you elaborate?
doggydan42
TL;DR Summary
Why is the operation of subtracting vectors not defined?
I learned in a vector calculus class that the operation of vectors is not defined. The professor mentioned it had to do with topology. How does the operation of vector subtraction relate to topology and how does topological properties prevent vector subtraction from being defined?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you be more specific? What do you mean by operation of vectors?

Vectors are usually defined as an additive group over a field.

This means we have addition, subtraction, associativity, zero element, and distributive multiplication by e.g. reals, or rationals. There is no topology at prior, although there are topological vector spaces. They play an important role in physics. But whatever vector space we consider, vector addition and subtraction is fundamental for all of them. It is why we consider it in the first place.

Likes scottdave
Vectors can be added and subtracted. I'm not sure of the context. Perhaps if you are expressing vectors in Polar form, then addition and subtraction is not just straight add/subtract of the elements, anymore

fresh_42 said:
Could you be more specific? What do you mean by operation of vectors?

Vectors are usually defined as an additive group over a field.

This means we have addition, subtraction, associativity, zero element, and distributive multiplication by e.g. reals, or rationals. There is no topology at prior, although there are topological vector spaces. They play an important role in physics. But whatever vector space we consider, vector addition and subtraction is fundamental for all of them. It is why we consider it in the first place.

I could be a misunderstanding on my part.

From what I understood, we call vector subtraction the addition of the inverse, but it is not defined the same way as it is for real numbers. But this just confused me, as I could not see why that would be the case.

doggydan42 said:
I could be a misunderstanding on my part.

From what I understood, we call vector subtraction the addition of the inverse, but it is not defined the same way as it is for real numbers. But this just confused me, as I could not see why that would be the case.
This is true. The additive inverse element of a vector $$v$$ is $$-v$$ and $$w-v=w+(-v)$$ is the vector addition. We cannot divide vectors!

By definition, a vector space ##V## is in particular an additive abelian group. Thus every vector has an additive inverse:
$$v+(-v)=0=(-v)+v$$

doggydan42 said:
Summary: Why is the operation of subtracting vectors not defined?

I learned in a vector calculus class that the operation of vectors is not defined. The professor mentioned it had to do with topology. How does the operation of vector subtraction relate to topology and how does topological properties prevent vector subtraction from being defined?
What class is this , for context? Maybe you mean vectors based at different points?

WWGD said:
What class is this , for context? Maybe you mean vectors based at different points?
I'm taking vector calculus, but the professor just mentioned that and went on. So I was curious as to why that statement was true.

what do you suppose would happen if you raised your hand and asked?

Likes dextercioby
Strange thing is that if v is a vector in the sense of a vector space, then the set of vectors is an Abelian group.

WWGD said:
Strange thing is that if v is a vector in the sense of a vector space, then the set of vectors is an Abelian group.
I assume he spoke about another operation. Of course we can only guess, so a few possibilities are:
- no multiplication instead of addition: ##\vec{u}\cdot \vec{v}##
- no addition in GL(V): ##A+B##
- no addition in a group representation: ##(g+h).\vec{v}##
- no addition by scalars: ##c+\vec{v}##
All not allowed (at prior).

mathwonk said:
what do you suppose would happen if you raised your hand and asked?
The professor basically said not to bother asking.

fresh_42 said:
I assume he spoke about another operation. Of course we can only guess, so a few possibilities are:
- no multiplication instead of addition: ##\vec{u}\cdot \vec{v}##
- no addition in GL(V): ##A+B##
- no addition in a group representation: ##(g+h).\vec{v}##
- no addition by scalars: ##c+\vec{v}##
All not allowed (at prior).
Yes, but the OP is about subtraction of vectors not being defined.

WWGD said:
Yes, but the OP is about subtraction of vectors not being defined.
I meant that the teacher might have meant something else than the OP means he meant. Don't you mean?

(I love this word. It has so many mean meanings that you can almost use it alone to say something.)

Likes Delta2
How do you do differential calculus without being able to assign a meaning to [itex]f(t + h) - f(t)[/itex]?

pasmith said:
How do you do differential calculus without being able to assign a meaning to [itex]f(t + h) - f(t)[/itex]?
They may have been referring to vectors based at different points. Not too clear from the OP.

Likes mathwonk
Or maybe the professor said "division" and not "subtraction"...?

If the professor really said "subtraction", the OP should insist that the professor explains what (s)he means, and if necessary refer to the posts in this thread.

Likes Delta2
doggydan42 said:
I'm taking vector calculus, but the professor just mentioned that and went on. So I was curious as to why that statement was true.
As others have said, that statement is not true. So you need to ask him what he meant or we are left to guess.

I refer you to my post in the thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/my-professor-said-anyone-else.976918/#post-6231886

but the point is not to let anyone get away easily with not answering a question, they are taking your money to teach you.

remember that students do matter. you are not just fodder. you are at that age where you are becoming a person, i.e. someone who has weight, i urge you to seize the opportunity.

of course the more diplomatic and less confrontational you can make it the better, but your version of it makes it sound as if this guy is a hard case. but it could be you who is being too meek. be polite but courageous, and good luck.

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy
It's clear that you misunderstood. Perhaps what you professor was saying was that (in any algebraic system, not just vector spaces) we don't consider "subtraction" a separate operation since, unlike addition, subtraction is neither "commutative" (a- b is not, in general, equal to b- a) nor "associative" (a+ (b+ c) is not, in general, equal to (a+ b)+ c.

1. What is vector subtraction?

Vector subtraction is the process of finding the difference between two vectors. It involves subtracting the corresponding components of the two vectors to find a new vector that represents the direction and magnitude of the difference.

2. How is vector subtraction related to topology?

Vector subtraction is closely related to topology because it is used to define the topology of a vector space. The result of vector subtraction is a new vector that represents the direction and magnitude of the difference between two vectors, which is an important concept in topology.

3. What is the difference between vector subtraction and scalar subtraction?

Vector subtraction involves finding the difference between two vectors, while scalar subtraction involves finding the difference between two scalar values. In vector subtraction, the result is a new vector, while in scalar subtraction, the result is a single scalar value.

4. How is vector subtraction used in real-life applications?

Vector subtraction has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the net force on an object, determine the velocity and acceleration of an object, and find the direction and distance between two points.

5. Can vector subtraction result in a negative vector?

Yes, vector subtraction can result in a negative vector. This occurs when the magnitude of the first vector is smaller than the magnitude of the second vector, and the direction of the difference is opposite to the direction of the first vector. In this case, the resulting vector will have a negative magnitude and direction.