How do I evaluate a vector surface integral over a cylindrical surface?

In summary, the problem is to compute the vector surface integral of the given function F(x,y,z) over the surface defined by x^2 + y^2 = 9, -3<=z<=3, with an outward pointing normal. The surface is parameterized in cylindrical coordinates and the normal vector is calculated. However, there may be a mistake in the calculation of the outward normal as it appears to be the inward normal. Additionally, it is unclear if the problem includes the two ends of the cylinder as part of the surface. Consideration of the divergence theorem may also be helpful in solving this problem.
musicmar

Homework Statement

Compute ∫∫SF.dS

F(x,y,z)=<y,x2y,exz> over x2+y2=9, -3<=z<=3, outward pointing normal.

The Attempt at a Solution

I parameterized the surface in cylindrical coordinates:
Φ(z,θ)=<3cosθ,3sinθ,z>.
The normal vector of this surface is n(z,θ)=<0,0,1>x<-3sinθ,3cosθ,0>=
<-3cosθ,-3sinθ,0>.

∫∫SF.dS
=∫∫F(Φ(z,θ)).n(z,θ)dzdθ

F(Φ(z,θ))=<3sinθ,9cos2θ,e3zcosθ>

I took the dot product of that and the normal, then evaluated the integral with z from -3 to 3 and θ from 0 to 2π and got an answer of 0. I know the answer should be (243π)/2

Some help in finding my mistake would be much appreciated. And I know it wasn't from evaluating the integral, as I used my calculator(we are allowed to).

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of questions for you.

1. Did you check that you have the outward normal?

2. Did the problem specify the closed surface of the cylinder? If so what about the top and bottom surfaces?

3. And if so, have you considered using the divergence theorem?

1. Wouldn't the inward normal be the reverse cross product and thus negative?
2. The problem is exactly as I typed it. If -3<=z<=3 and 0<=theta<=2pi, that includes the entire cylinder, not just the outside. I don't know if vector surface integral was the most appropriate title for this question.

musicmar said:
1. Wouldn't the inward normal be the reverse cross product and thus negative?
Yes, that is exactly why what you have, <-3cosθ,-3sinθ,0>, is the inward normal, not the outward normal. Of course, that would only change the sign on the integral.

2. The problem is exactly as I typed it. If -3<=z<=3 and 0<=theta<=2pi, that includes the entire cylinder, not just the outside. I don't know if vector surface integral was the most appropriate title for this question.
The problem, as you typed it, says you are trying to integrate over the surface of the cylinder. That does not include "the entire cylinder". The "-3<=z<=3 and 0<=theta<=2pi" define the cylinder, not its surface. I would interpret what you wrote, the surface of the figure given, as including the two ends. That is, you need to include the integral over the two circles of radius 3 with z= 3 and z= -3. The "outward normal" for the first is <0, 0, 1> and for the second <0, 0, -1>.

1. What is a vector surface integral?

A vector surface integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the flux (or flow) of a vector field over a given surface. It is used to measure the amount of a vector quantity passing through a surface in a specific direction.

2. How is a vector surface integral different from a regular surface integral?

A regular surface integral calculates the flux of a scalar field, while a vector surface integral calculates the flux of a vector field. Additionally, a vector surface integral takes into account the direction of the vector, whereas a regular surface integral does not.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector surface integrals?

Vector surface integrals are commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the flow of fluids through a surface, such as air flow over a wing or water flow through a pipe. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric field passing through a surface.

4. How is a vector surface integral calculated?

A vector surface integral is typically calculated using a double integral, where the first integral represents the surface and the second integral represents the vector field. The integral is then evaluated using a specific formula, such as the flux formula or the divergence theorem.

5. What are some important properties of vector surface integrals?

Some important properties of vector surface integrals include linearity, meaning that the integral of a sum of vectors is equal to the sum of the individual integrals, and orientation independence, meaning that the result of the integral is independent of the orientation of the surface. Additionally, the integral is affected by the shape and size of the surface, as well as the direction and magnitude of the vector field.