1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Tension Problem

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2 weights of 20 N and 10 N are hung from 3 ropes. Find the tension of T1, T2, and T3:
    vector.jpg

The attempt at a solution

If I designate one of the points as the origin, I get:

[tex]T_1sin45+T_2sin0+T_3sin30=30 N[/tex]

and

[tex]T_2cos0+T_3cos30-T_1sin45=0[/tex]

I'm having trouble finding a third equation... if those two are even right in the first place.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2
    Try and stick to separating the forces into x and y components, at least mentally.

If you think about the forces that only act in the vertical direction for each weight separately you should be able to pretty much read off the values for T1 and T3, just use one of those to get you on to the shared tension.

You have four equations at your disposal, both axes for both weights.

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3
    Sorry... I don't understand what you're saying. I don't know how to separate it into components with a system with more than one weight.

5. Mar 22, 2010 #4
    Sorry I thought that might be the problem,

At each junction of wires you can draw a little force diagram like this.

You can create four equations by focusing on only one axis at a time.

First one, this is only the force that acts parallel to the y-axis w/ the left knot at it's center.

[tex]\sum F_{y} = T_{1}Sin(45) -20 N. = 0[/tex]

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook