Vector to Tensor properties

In summary, the object Q with nine components Qij=AiBj is a tensor of rank 2 because it transforms under rotations (R) as a vector and follows the equation Tij'=RinRjmTnm.
flintbox

Homework Statement

Suppose A and B are vectors. Show that the object Q with nine components Qij=AiBj is a tensor of rank 2.

Homework Equations

A tensor transforms under rotations (R) as a vector:
Tij'=RinRjmTnm

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to just create the matrix, but I don't know how to prove that this is also a tensor.

Physics news on Phys.org
flintbox said:

Homework Statement

Suppose A and B are vectors. Show that the object Q with nine components Qij=AiBj is a tensor of rank 2.

Homework Equations

A tensor transforms under rotations (R) as a vector:
Tij'=RinRjmTnm

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to just create the matrix, but I don't know how to prove that this is also a tensor.
Well, how do the vectors ##A## and ##B## transform under rotations?

Likes BvU
Thanks a lot!
I think I understand it now:
$$A_i' B_j' = R_{in}A_n R_{jm}A_m$$
$$A_i' B_j' = R_{in} R_{jm} (A_n A_m)$$
$$A_i' B_j' = R_{in} R_{jm} Q_{nm}$$
$$A_i' B_j' = Q'_{nm}$$
So we for proving something is a tensor, we just apply some transformations to it, right?

flintbox said:
Thanks a lot!
I think I understand it now:
$$A_i' B_j' = R_{in}A_n R_{jm}A_m$$
$$A_i' B_j' = R_{in} R_{jm} (A_n A_m)$$
$$A_i' B_j' = R_{in} R_{jm} Q_{nm}$$
$$A_i' B_j' = Q'_{nm}$$
So we for proving something is a tensor, we just apply some transformations to it, right?

Yes, something is a tensor if it transforms like a tensor.

1. What is the difference between a vector and a tensor?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow in a specific direction. A tensor, on the other hand, is a mathematical object that is used to describe the relationship between multiple vectors in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How do you represent a vector and a tensor mathematically?

A vector is typically represented as a column or row matrix with its components listed. For example, a 3-dimensional vector would be represented as [x, y, z]. A tensor is represented using a multi-dimensional array or matrix. The number of dimensions depends on the number of vectors involved in the relationship.

3. What are the properties of a vector?

A vector has three main properties: magnitude, direction, and sense. Magnitude refers to the length of the vector, direction refers to the angle at which the vector is pointing, and sense refers to whether the vector is pointing towards or away from a reference point.

4. What are the properties of a tensor?

A tensor has several properties, including rank, dimension, and symmetry. The rank of a tensor refers to the number of dimensions involved in the relationship. The dimension of a tensor is the size of the multi-dimensional array used to represent it. Symmetry refers to whether the tensor is symmetric or asymmetric.

5. How are vectors and tensors used in scientific fields?

Vectors and tensors are used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to describe and analyze physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in mathematical models and simulations to solve complex problems and make predictions about real-world systems.