Proving the Intersection of Altitudes in a Triangle Using Vector Equations

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the three altitudes of a triangle meet at one point. The participants suggest using Ceva's theorem or analytical geometry to prove it. One participant suggests using the vertical median, x=a, as a starting point. Another participant brings up an important identity involving the cross-product. They then discuss using the vector equation of a line to prove the law of sines vectorally.
prace
Hello,

I tried doing a search for this one here, but I didn't seem to come up with much...

Homework Statement

Prove that the three altitudes of a triangle meet at one point.

Homework Equations

Well, I am not really sure, but I know that Ceva's theorem might help me prove this, but I want to prove it vectorally, so I don't know if it will be much help at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor gave a hint for this proof by saying, show each of the triangles cevians are perpandicular to its opposite side... :confused: I can see pictorally this is ok, but where to start...?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe try to use analytical geometry. Might become a little messy, but should work out just fine. Write down equations of lines passing through the vertices, and perpendicular to the opposite sides, and try to proove they intersect in one point.

Remember, you may as well assume that two of the vertices are at (0,0) and (1,0), with the third at (a,b); it will undoubtedly make life easier as you will have fewer variables floating around. The 'vertical median' then just has equation x=a.

Ok, so I tried to put the both of your ideas into my problem by trying to parametrize the equation. If I can find out the parametric equations of all the altitudes, then I can easily find out if they intersect by setting them equal to each other. Then i found out that I have no information about where the altitudes intersect its corresponding side. hmm... But what matt grime is saying is that i do know information about the verticle median, and that is x = a. Could you please explaing that thought? what are you calling x here?

Underlying this question is an important identity involving the cross-product. (No coordinates needed.)

so... I know that aXb is orthognal to both a and b, but I don't see how that plays in here.

robphy said:
Underlying this question is an important identity involving the cross-product. (No coordinates needed.)

while working out another problem that I thought might help me with this problem, I think I might have found something along the lines you are talking about. This other proof asks me to prove the law of sines vectorally. So...

First, I stated that a+b+c=0 for a triangle made up of three vectors, a, b, and c. Each side has a corresponding angle of A, B, or C.

I then took the cross product of aX (a+b+c) = aXa=0.

I then took the cross product of bX (a+b+c) = bXb=0.

I then took the cross product of cX (a+b+c) = cXc=0.

From here I then made the statement that if the above was all true, then aXa + bXb + cXc = 0, so

|a||a|sin(A) + |b||b|sin(B) + |c||c|sin(C) = 0 as well. Now I can really see this getting close to the law of sines (althought I am not too sure how to get it there from here).

So, |a||a|sin(A) = |b||b|sin(B) = |c||c|sin(C)

Maybe there is some way to apply this towards the above triangle problem?

Last edited:
prace said:
Ok, so I tried to put the both of your ideas into my problem by trying to parametrize the equation. If I can find out the parametric equations of all the altitudes, then I can easily find out if they intersect by setting them equal to each other. Then i found out that I have no information about where the altitudes intersect its corresponding side. hmm... But what matt grime is saying is that i do know information about the verticle median, and that is x = a. Could you please explaing that thought? what are you calling x here?

x,y as in x-y plane, just standard coordinates.

as for not knowing the equations of the altitudes... well, you know a point the line goes through, and you know something it is perpendicular too, so you can write down the equation.

prace said:
while working out another problem that I thought might help me with this problem, I think I might have found something along the lines you are talking about. This other proof asks me to prove the law of sines vectorally. So...

First, I stated that a+b+c=0 for a triangle made up of three vectors, a, b, and c. Each side has a corresponding angle of A, B, or C.

and now if you use the vector equation of a line (using the cross product), you're done in a line or two. this is the coordinate free suggestion above.

1. What is a vector triangle proof?

A vector triangle proof is a type of mathematical proof that uses vectors to prove geometric relationships between sides and angles in a triangle. It involves using vector operations, such as addition and subtraction, to show that two sides or angles are equal or proportional.

2. How is a vector triangle proof different from a traditional triangle proof?

In traditional triangle proofs, geometric properties and theorems are used to prove relationships between sides and angles. In vector triangle proofs, vector operations are used instead of geometric properties to prove these relationships.

3. What are the key steps in a vector triangle proof?

The key steps in a vector triangle proof include setting up the triangle and labeling its sides and angles, using vector operations to manipulate the sides and angles, and showing that the resulting vectors are equal or proportional.

4. What are the benefits of using vector triangle proofs?

Vector triangle proofs can provide a more general and flexible approach to proving geometric relationships in a triangle. They can also be used to prove more complex relationships that may be difficult to prove using traditional methods.

5. Can vector triangle proofs be applied to other shapes besides triangles?

Yes, vector proofs can be applied to any polygon with three or more sides. However, they are most commonly used in triangle proofs due to the simplicity and symmetry of triangles.