1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Triple product dilemma

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    I am currently going through the book Introduction Of Electrodynamics by Griffiths. I have come across vector triple product which is stated as follows in the book:

$$\textbf{A} \times (\textbf{B} \times \textbf{C})=\textbf{B}(\textbf{A}\cdot \textbf{C})-\textbf{C}(\textbf{A}\cdot \textbf{B})$$
    The author then states a few more vector products and says that they can be derived using the vector triple product. One of them I am unable to derive is :
    $$(A\times B)\cdot (C\times D)=(A\cdot C)(B\cdot D)-(A\cdot D)(B\cdot C)$$

I don't see how I can derive the above using the vector triple product. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, prove that
    [tex]\mathbf{U} \times \mathbf{V} \cdot \mathbf{W}
    = \mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{V} \times \mathbf{W} [/tex]
    for any three vectors U, V, W. (Note: UxV.W means (UxV).W, etc). In other words, in a mixed vector-scalar product you can interchange the 'x' and the '.'. It is pretty easy to prove, just by expanding out both things and comparing the results.

Next, prove that
    [tex] \mathbf{U} \times ( \mathbf{V} \times \mathbf{W})
    = (\mathbf{U} \times \mathbf{V}) \times \mathbf{W},[/tex] just by using ##\mathbf{R} \times \mathbf{S} = -\mathbf{S} \times \mathbf{R}## and applying the vector triple product you are already given.

Now apply these two facts to your problem.

4. Nov 5, 2013 #3
    First interchange the signs of '×' and '.'

$$(A\times B)\cdot (C\times D) = A\times B \times C \cdot D$$

Which gives

$$[(A \cdot C)B - (B \cdot C)A] \cdot D $$

And finally,

$$[(A \cdot C)(B \cdot D) - (B \cdot C)(A \cdot D)] $$

5. Nov 5, 2013 #4
    Thanks, didn't notice that it was a scalar triple product. :)

I did not require this in proving what I wanted to but still I would like to know how would you prove this. Here's how I tried:

Applying the vector triple product on LHS:
    $$V(U\cdot W)-W(U\cdot V)$$

The RHS is:
    $$-W \times (U \times V)$$
    $$=-(U(W\cdot V)-V(W \cdot U))$$
    $$=V(W \cdot U)-U(W\cdot V)$$

They don't turn out to be the same. :confused:

6. Nov 5, 2013 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's just wrong, Ray. The cross product is not associative.

7. Nov 5, 2013 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can use both the scalar triple product and vector triple product to prove this identity. Denote ##U=C \times D##. With this substitution, ##(A \times B) \cdot (C \times D) = (A \times B) \cdot U##. See if you can take it from here, using the scalar triple product and then the vector triple product.

8. Nov 5, 2013 #7
    I did exactly the same to prove it. I stated it in my previous reply.

$$(A \times B)\cdot U=A\cdot (B\times (C\times D))$$
    $$=A\cdot(C(B\cdot D)-D(B\cdot C))=(A\cdot C)(B\cdot D)-(A\cdot D)(B\cdot C)$$

I have a few more doubts regarding vector proofs but they involve the del operator, should I post them here even though it is a precalculus section?

9. Nov 5, 2013 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, I didn't see that post. I saw your post where you trued (but failed) to prove the associativity of the cross product.

[EDIT]: That should be tried, not trued.

The cross product is not associative in general. Since the cross product is anti-commutative, ##(A \times B) \times C = - C \times (A \times B) = C \times (B \times A)##. Now this is in a form where you can use the vector triple product rule: ##(A \times B) \times C = C \times (B \times A) = B (A \cdot C) - A (B \cdot C)##. The difference between ##A \times (B \times C)## and ##(A \times B) \times C## is thus ##A \times (B \times C) - (A \times B) \times C = C (A \cdot B) - A (B \cdot C)##. This is zero if both ##A \cdot B## and ##B \cdot C## are zero or if C is parallel to A (i.e., ##C=\alpha A## where alpha is a scalar). The difference is non-zero otherwise, and hence the two forms are not equal to one another in general.

Note that the above means that ##U \times (V \times U)## and ##(U \times V) \times U## are equal to one another. This comes up quite often.

It's best to post those questions in the calculus section.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  10. Nov 5, 2013 #9
    Thanks a lot DH for such wonderful tips. I have made a note of these. :smile:

11. Nov 5, 2013 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A couple more points on this. One is that since ##U \times (V \times U) = (U \times V) \times U## the parentheses can be omitted in this case: It's okay to write ##U \times V \times U##. Note that writing ##U \times V \times W## is *not* okay. Parentheses are needed in the general case.

The other is that one reason this comes up quite often is that it is closely related to the component of V that is perpendicular to U, which I'll designate as ##V_{\perp_U}##. One way to calculate the component of V that is normal to U is to subtract the projection of V onto U from V. The projection is given by ##\frac {U (V \cdot U)} {U^2}##, and thus the normal component is ##V_{\perp_U} = V - \frac {U (V \cdot U)} {U^2} = \frac{V (U \cdot U) - U (V \cdot U)} {U^2}##. The numerator is ##U\times (V \times U) = U \times V \times U##. Thus ##V_{\perp_U} = \frac {U \times V \times U}{U^2}##. If U is a unit vector, this reduces to ##U \times V \times U##.

12. Nov 5, 2013 #11
    Thank you once again D H! :)

13. Nov 5, 2013 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right, sorry. Anyway, you don't need anything like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted