1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Trouble

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a plane S: x+y+z=8 and two points A(6,5,3) and B(10,5,-1), find the point P on plane S such that a line from point A bounces off of the plane S at point P and passes through point B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If I know that the angle of incidence = the angle of reflectance, then I can also say that a normal vector from plane S bisects will these two points at point P. So if I can proove that the angle between vectors AP and n is the same as the angle between vectors BP and n then this should solve my problem. Well, this is what I tried to show at least, and did not come up with the angle between the two vectors to be the same.

I found my normal vector n to be <1,1,1> and I took my point P to be (8,0,0). So, from there, I found vectors AP and BP to be <2,-5,-3> and <-2,-5,1> respectively.

Any help on which direction to go towards next would be a great help! Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    Points A and B are in fact the same distance from plane S. (Can you show this?)

Draw a diagram reflecting this, and add point P to the diagram. What do you realize?

4. Dec 3, 2006 #3
    I worked out the distances to be different than eachother. To find the distance of points A and B from plane S, i first found a point on plane S to reference from, call it Q. So, to find the distance of point A from plane S, i found:

h1 = |QA - proj (QA on n)|, where n is the normal vector for plane S.

I came up with a value of ~32.4.

to find the distance of point B from plane S, i found:

h2 = |QB - proj (QB on n)|, where again, n is the normal vector for plane S.

I came up with a value of ~134.28.

What happened? If I don't have the same height, how can I relate the two angles to eachother?

5. Dec 3, 2006 #4
    Shouldn't it be [tex]h_{1} =\ \mid proj\ (\ QA\ on\ n\ ) \mid[/tex]?

Try drawing a diagram, it should help.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?