Vector Velocities: Help Needed for Test Tomorrow

• Thread starter xCanx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the person is struggling with a problem involving a boat moving across a stream. They have attached a picture of their work, but both answers are incorrect. They are seeking help in understanding what they are doing wrong and if their diagrams are correct. The correct answer should be less than 4m/s, as the boat needs to be pointed upstream to cancel out the effect of the water. They are asking for further guidance and clarification on the problem.
xCanx
I really need help as I have a test tomorrow and am having trouble with these problems.

I have attached the questions and my work in the picture below.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9886/scan0001po5.th.gif

Both answers are wrong. Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong and if my diagrams are drawn correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi xCanx,

xCanx said:
I really need help as I have a test tomorrow and am having trouble with these problems.

I have attached the questions and my work in the picture below.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9886/scan0001po5.th.gif

Both answers are wrong. Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong and if my diagrams are drawn correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

The speed you found for the boat (4.27 m/s) would be the speed if the boat was pointed directly across the stream. In that case, the current would drag the boat downstream, so it does not match the problem.

In this case, they want the boat to actually move straight across the water. So the boat must be pointed somewhat upstream, so as to cancel out the effect of the water. Since some of its velocity is being used to cancel the water, the total velocity should be less than 4m/s.

Does this help? What do you get?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear student,

I understand your concern and the urgency for help with vector velocities. It is important to approach these problems with a clear understanding of the concepts and principles involved. From the attached image, it seems like you have attempted the questions but your answers are incorrect.

Firstly, it is important to note that velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In order to correctly solve vector velocity problems, you need to consider both the magnitude and direction of the vectors involved. It seems like you have correctly identified the direction of the vectors in your diagrams, but the magnitude may be incorrect.

I would recommend reviewing the principles of vector addition and subtraction, as well as the use of trigonometric functions to determine the magnitude of a vector. It may also be helpful to practice with simpler vector problems to build your understanding and confidence.

In addition, it is always helpful to seek assistance from your teacher or classmates if you are struggling with a particular topic. They can provide you with further explanations and examples to help you better understand the concept.

I wish you all the best for your test tomorrow. With proper understanding and practice, I am confident that you will be able to solve vector velocity problems successfully. Remember to approach them with a clear understanding of the concepts and take your time to carefully analyze and solve each problem. Good luck!

1. What are vector velocities?

Vector velocities are a type of velocity that include both magnitude and direction. This means that in addition to the speed of an object, vector velocities also take into account the direction in which the object is moving.

2. How are vector velocities different from regular velocities?

Regular velocities only include the speed of an object, while vector velocities also include the direction in which the object is moving. This is important because two objects can have the same speed but different vector velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. How do you calculate vector velocities?

To calculate vector velocities, you need to know the speed of the object as well as its direction of motion. This information can then be represented using a vector, which includes a magnitude (length) and direction. Vector addition can also be used to calculate the resulting velocity when two objects are moving in different directions.

4. What units are used to measure vector velocities?

Vector velocities are typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, any units of distance over time can be used as long as they are consistent.

5. How can I prepare for a test on vector velocities?

To prepare for a test on vector velocities, it is important to understand the concepts and equations involved. Practice problems and examples can also help solidify your understanding. Additionally, make sure to review any relevant notes or class materials and ask your teacher for clarification on any topics you are unsure about.