How Do You Solve Vector Velocity in 3D?

In summary, vector velocity in 3D refers to the speed and direction of an object in three-dimensional space. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude (speed) and direction of an object's motion. To calculate vector velocity in 3D, you need to know the object's position at two different points in time and use displacement and time interval. Speed is a scalar quantity that only considers magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both magnitude and direction. Vector velocity can be represented in 3D space using vector arrows on a coordinate system. Real-life examples include the motion of airplanes, satellites, and projectiles, as well as a person swimming in a pool.
jmagic

Homework Statement

problem2.png

Homework Equations

i+j+k=1, <1,1,1>

The Attempt at a Solution

a(t)=i+(30t^(4))j+(2e^(-t)ln(e)-2e^(-t)(1/e))k
r(t)=(2+6t)i+(2+t^6+2t)j+(2+2e^-t)k

[

1. The problem statement, a

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi jmagic! Welcome to PF! :smile:
jmagic said:
r(t)=(2+6t)i+(2+t^6+2t)j+(2+2e^-t)k

i and j are correct, but the constant in k is wrong …

hint: e0 = … ? :smile:
a(t)=i+(30t^(4))j+(2e^(-t)ln(e)-2e^(-t)(1/e))k

Hint: 6 and ln(e) are constants, aren't they? :wink:

1. What is vector velocity in 3D?

Vector velocity in 3D refers to the speed and direction of an object in three-dimensional space. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude (speed) and direction of an object's motion.

2. How is vector velocity calculated in 3D?

To calculate vector velocity in 3D, you need to know the object's position at two different points in time. Then, you can use the displacement (change in position) and the time interval to calculate the average velocity vector. This can be represented using vector notation, with the magnitude being the distance traveled and the direction being the change in position.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in 3D?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

4. How is vector velocity represented in 3D space?

In 3D space, vector velocity can be represented using vector arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude (speed) of the object's motion, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction. The arrows can also be drawn on a coordinate system to show the position and orientation of the object in space.

5. What are some real-life examples of vector velocity in 3D?

Some real-life examples of vector velocity in 3D include the motion of airplanes, satellites, and projectiles. These objects all have both speed and direction in three-dimensional space, making them perfect examples of vector velocity. Another example could be the motion of a person swimming in a pool, where their speed and direction change as they move through the water in three dimensions.