1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectore area element?

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex] \vec{F} = xy\vec{i} + yz\vec{j} + xz\vec{k} [/tex] and C is the boundary of S, the surface z = 9 - x2 for 0 ≤ x ≤ 3 and -6 ≤ y ≤ 6, oriented upward. Use Stokes' Theorem to find [tex] \int\limits_c \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

well I've found the curlF at least.. I don't know what I should do now

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: stoke

Find an expression for the vector area element of S (it should have an x-component and a z-component)and integrate over the surface.

4. May 6, 2009 #3

vectore area element??

5. May 6, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it's the product of the infinitesimal area element (usually denoted [itex]dS[/itex] or [itex]da[/itex]) with the unit normal to the surface ([itex]\vec{da}=\hat{n}da[/itex]). Have you not heard that term before?

For example, the outward vector area element for a spherical shell of radius [itex]R[/itex] is [itex] \vec{da} =R^2 \sin \theta d \theta d \phi \hat{r}[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the polar angle, [itex]\phi[/itex] is the azimuthal angle, and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] (sometimes written [itex]\hat{e}_r[/itex]) is the radial unit vector.

Different authors use different notations.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  6. May 6, 2009 #5

yes, I've heard of it.. I now need to find the normal vector first... how can I do that...

7. May 6, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by drawing a sketch of the surface, you should see that the outward normal to the surface is the same as the outward normal of the curve z=9-x^2. Parameterize that curve (I suggest using x=t) and find the tangent and normal in the usual ways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook