Adding Vectors: E1 + E2 = Ep (Angle = 60°)

• Thread starter duchuy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the relation between vector Ep and vector E1, given that the angle between them is 60 degrees and E1 has the same length as E2. The person is struggling to add the angle value and is advised to make a rough drawing to better understand the situation. The answer can be found by considering the sum of the angles of a triangle.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Beginner vectorial calculations
Relevant Equations
Ep = E1 + E2
I have this relation that says :
vector Ep = vector E1 + vector E2.
Given the angle between the vector is equal to 60 deg and E1 = E2, I have to give the relation between Ep and E1.
I'm struggling to add the angle value in this, since vector Ep = 2 vector E1. But since this isn't equal to vE1. vE1, i don't see how i can continue..
Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you mean that the LENGTH of E1 equals the LENGTH of E2, since they point in different directions and can not be equal vectors. In that case, I advise you to make a rough drawing of the two vectors, placed end-to-end at a 60-degree angle. That is what the sum is, beginning at the start of E1 and ending at the end of E2. Remember that the sum of the angles of a triangle is 180 degrees. You should be able to see the answer from that.

Likes DaveE and duchuy
Thank you sir!

1. What is the formula for adding vectors?

The formula for adding vectors is E1 + E2 = Ep, where E1 and E2 are the two vectors being added and Ep is the resultant vector.

2. What does the angle represent in the formula for adding vectors?

The angle represents the direction of the resultant vector, Ep. In this case, the angle is 60°.

3. How do you add two vectors with different magnitudes and directions?

To add two vectors with different magnitudes and directions, you can use the head-to-tail method. Draw the first vector, E1, with its magnitude and direction. Then, draw the second vector, E2, starting from the tail of E1 and in the direction of its magnitude. The resultant vector, Ep, is drawn from the tail of E1 to the head of E2. Use a protractor to measure the angle between E1 and Ep.

4. Can the angle in the formula for adding vectors be greater than 90°?

Yes, the angle can be greater than 90°. This means that the resultant vector, Ep, will have a direction that is in the opposite direction of the first vector, E1.

5. Is it possible to add more than two vectors using this formula?

Yes, it is possible to add more than two vectors using this formula. You can add multiple vectors by adding the first two vectors, then adding the third vector to the resultant vector, and so on.