1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and Co-vectors

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    Okay, So I have am elementary question to ask but it is of fundamental importance to me. First things first, I have been looking through the posts on "the difference between vectors and covectors'' and found them to be helpful. But not too conducive to the way I am trying to learn about them. The posts seem to revolve around tangent and cotangent spaces. Although I will eventually go on to use my definition of covectors and vectors to define natural bases on manifolds, I am trying to ascertain a ``stand alone'' version of the defintion of covectors and vectors.

I have begun with good ol' reliable [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] for my vector space: Let us define a vector space [itex]V[/itex] such that:

[tex]
    V=\mathbb{R}^3
    [/tex]

[tex]V[/tex] is the set

[tex]
    V=\{ v:v^i e_i=(v^1,v^2,v^3)^T | v^i \in \mathbb{R}^3 \}
    [/tex]

with basis, say

[tex]
    e_1=\left(
    \begin {array}{c}
    1 \\
    \noalign{\medskip}
    0 \\
    \noalign{\medskip}
    0 \\
    \end {array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    e_2=\left(
    \begin {array}{c}
    0 \\
    \noalign{\medskip}
    1 \\
    \noalign{\medskip}
    0 \\
    \end {array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    e_3=\left(
    \begin {array}{c}
    0 \\
    \noalign{\medskip}
    0 \\
    \noalign{\medskip}
    1 \\
    \end {array}
    \right),
    [/tex]

To be more explicit, let me define what the vector is, say

[tex]
    v=(1,2,-5)^T
    [/tex]

So that [itex]v^1=1[/itex], [itex]v^2=2[/itex] and [itex]v^3=-5[/itex]. And so that:

[tex]
    v=1\cdot e_1+2\cdot e_2-5\cdot e_3
    [/tex]

Now define [itex]V^*[/itex], a space dual to [itex]V[/itex], by its elements [itex]f[/itex];
    [tex]
    V^*= \{ f: f=f_i e^i=(x,y,z) \}
    [/tex]

so that [itex]f_1=x[/itex], [itex]f_2=y[/itex] and [itex]f_3=z[/itex].

with (covariant) basis:

[tex]
    e_1=\left(
    \begin {array}{ccc}
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    \end {array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    e_2=\left(
    \begin {array}{ccc}
    0 & 1 & 0 \\
    \end {array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    e_3=\left(
    \begin {array}{ccc}
    0 & 0 & 1 \\
    \end {array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

where it is demanded that

[tex]e^i(e_j)=\delta^i_j[/tex].

Further, if we want to know how the [itex]f \in V^*[/itex] acts on the [itex]v \in V[/itex], we must derive a relation:

[tex]
    f(v)=f(v^i e_i)=v^i f(e_i)=v^i \delta^j_i f(e_j)
    [/tex]

But by our previous demand we have:

[tex]
    f(v)=v^i (e^j(e_i)) f(e_j)
    [/tex]

By linearity we have:

[tex]
    f(v)=v^i (e^j(e_i)) f(e_j)
    [/tex]

Now [itex]v^i,f(e_j) \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] so we can just shift them around at will.

[tex]
    f(v)=f(e_j) v^i (e^j(e_i))=f(e_j) v^i (e^j(e_i))
    [/tex]

[tex]
    =(f(e_j) v^i e^j)(e_i)=(f(e_j) e^j)(v^i e_i)=(f(e_j) e^j)(v)
    [/tex]

As this is true [itex]\forall v \in V[/itex] we must have:

[tex]}
    f \equiv f(e_j) e^j
    [/tex]

For notational purposes we define [itex]f_j=f(e_j)[/itex]. So that;
    [tex]
    f \equiv f_j e^j
    [/tex]

So back to the problem at hand:

[tex]
    f(v) = f_je^j(v)=f_1 e^1(v)+f_2 e^2(v)+f_3 e^3(v)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f(v) = f_je^j(1\cdot e_1+2\cdot e_2-5\cdot e_3)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    =f_1 e^1(1\cdot e_1+2\cdot e_2-5\cdot e_3)+f_2 e^2(1\cdot e_1+2\cdot e_2-5\cdot e_3)+f_3 e^3(1\cdot e_1+2\cdot e_2-5\cdot e_3)
    [/tex]

[tex]=f_1 e^1(1\cdot e_1)+f_2 e^2(2\cdot e_2)+f_3 e^3(-5\cdot e_3)[/tex]

[itex]=f_1 (1)+f_2 (2 )+f_3 (-5)[/itex]

And so

[itex]f(v)=x (1)+y (2 )+z (-5)=x+2y-5z[/itex]

So [tex]f(v)[/tex] is a plane.

Right so my questions are:

1. What does [itex]f(v)[/itex] being a plane mean?

2. I know that [itex]f(e_j)=f_j [/itex] is just notation, and that it's form may be deduced from the given expression for [itex]f[/itex] and the fact that the bases of [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]V^*[/itex] abide [itex]e^i(e_j)=\delta^i_j[/itex] but what does [itex]f(e_j)[/itex] mean? Is it just [itex]f[/itex] acting on the basis elements of [itex]V[/itex]? I mean, If i try to work out what [itex]f(e_k)[/itex] is from [tex]f(v)=f(e_j)e^j(v)[/itex], we just get a cyclic definition [itex]f(e_k)=f(e_j)e^j(e_k)=f(e_j)\delta^k_j=f(e_k)[/itex]. And if so, I am finding it hard to define, say [itex]f(e_3)\equiv f_3=z[/itex]. I mean would this be a valid description:

[itex]f(e_i)[/itex] is "all of [itex]f[/itex]" acting on the i-th basis component of the corresponding vector space. It is defined by producing the i-th component of the covector [itex]f[/itex]

If anyone can clarify I'd be ever so grateful.

3. The form of [itex]f[/itex] I chose, relates to some sort of cartesian projection I think. Could someone shed some light on the situation.

Cheers,

edit: adjusted as requested.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

As a courtesy to other PF readers, I'd encourage you to learn how to take advantage of the latex markup feature in VB, the software used in PF; see this primer. After reading a few lines from that page, you should have no trouble reformatting your document.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If V is a vector space over R, then it's dual space [itex]V^*[/itex] is, by definition, the space of all linear transformations from V to R. (also called linear functionals)

If we are studying a particular vector space, then it is conventional to call an element of its dual space a "covector".

If we choose a basis for V, then there is a natural choice of basis for [itex]V^*[/itex]; we call it the dual basis. And, generally, we write the coordinates of a vector as a column array and the coordinates of a covector as a row array. The reason is as follows:

Let [itex]v \in V[/itex] and [itex]\omega \in V^*[/itex].
    Let [itex][v][/itex] be the coordinate representation of v with respect to our chosen basis, and similarly for [itex][\omega][/itex].

Then, we have:
    [tex][\omega(v)] = [\omega][v][/tex]

(The left hand side is the 1x1 matrix containing the number [itex]\omega(v)[/itex]. The right hand side is the product from matrix algebra, which yields a 1x1 matrix)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  5. Dec 8, 2007 #4
    >> If V is a vector space over R, then it's dual space [itex]V^*[/itex] is, by definition, the space of all linear transformations from V to R. (also called linear functionals)

Okay

>> If we are studying a particular vector space, then it is conventional to call an element of its dual space a "covector".

Okay

>> If we choose a basis for V, then there is a natural choice of basis for [itex]V^*[/itex]; we call it the dual basis. And, generally, we write the coordinates of a vector as a column array and the coordinates of a covector as a row array.

Uh huh

>> The reason is as follows:

Let [itex]v \in V[/itex] and [itex]\omega \in V^*[/itex].
    Let [itex][v][/itex] be the coordinate representation of v with respect to our chosen basis, and similarly for [itex][\omega][/itex].

Then, we have:
    [tex][\omega(v)] = [\omega][v][/tex]

(The left hand side is the 1x1 matrix containing the number [itex]\omega(v)[/itex]. The right hand side is the product from matrix algebra, which yields a 1x1 matrix)

Okay

All that makes sense. It has given me some strength to know I am on the right track. However, my questions are still open, as far as my mind can stretch presently.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  6. Dec 23, 2007 #5
    For your first question, i give you an intutive sense of what 'the plane' means.
    Assuming we are unknown of what shape the earth has. But by some experiments, we derive a function f(v), which return the potential energy for an object, where v could be any point on earth. Then f(v)=0 is where all points with zero potential energy. As you obtain that f(v)=0 is a plane, we may say the earth is flat.
    The above explanation may not be strict. If i made any mistakes, please tell me.

7. Dec 25, 2007 #6
    Not just arrows sitting at an origin are examples of vectors. There are other objects that also form vector spaces. Take a set of equally spaced lines in the plane. Enumerate the lines.

Can you think of what it means to:

• Multiply such a set of lines with a scalar? (easy)

• Add two such sets of lines together? (slightly more complicated)
    What does the resulting set of lines look like in each case?

Also, think a little about linear coordinate systems. Not in the way of basis vectors, but rather in the form of a parallelogramic grid. What does it mean to read off the coordinates of a vector from such a grid?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?