1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vectors and differentiation

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The vector a depends on a parameter t, i.e. [itex]a=a(t)=a_x(t)i +a_y(t)j +a_z(t)k[/itex]..
    it satisfies the equation [itex]da/dt= j [/itex][tex]\times[/tex][itex] a[/itex]
    show that [itex]d^2a_x/dt^2 =-a_x[/itex] , [itex]da_y/dt=0[/itex] and [itex]d^2a_z/dt^2 =-a_z[/itex].

For the vector a, find its value for t=pi if at t=0 [itex]a(0)=i+j[/itex] and [itex]da/dt(0)=0k [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] a.b = mod(a)mod(b)cos\theta [/itex]
    [itex] a [/itex] X [itex] b = mod(a)mod(b)sin\theta[/tex] [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have absolutely no idea how to start...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To start you have to figure out what da/dt=jxa means in terms of the components of a, [ax,ay,az]. Can you find the cross product of the vector j with a?

4. Jan 10, 2010 #3
    Have you written the second asked-to-be-shown equation correctly? I think it must be modified as follows: [itex]da_y/dt=c[/itex] (c being a constant).

To not get into the trouble of Latex, you can scan a photo of the printed question and put it on the forum.

AB

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. Jan 10, 2010 #4
    [itex]da_y/dt=0[/itex] follows from [itex]da/dt= j \times a[/itex]

6. Jan 10, 2010 #5
    Oh, yes! I straightly put [itex]d^2a_y/{dt^{2}}=0[/itex] without looking at the first derivative. Thanks...

7. Jan 10, 2010 #6
    [itex]j[/itex] X [itex]a[/itex] will be [itex]a_z(t)i+0j-a_x(t).[/itex]

so,
    [tex]\stackrel{da_y}{dt}[/tex]=0 , [tex]\stackrel{da_x}{dt}[/tex]=[itex]a_z (t)[/itex] and [tex]\stackrel{da_z}{dt}[/tex]= [itex]-a_x(t) [/itex]

8. Jan 10, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good start. Can you continue from there?

9. Jan 10, 2010 #8
    I need to differentiate [itex]a_z (t)[/itex] with respect to t... can i just say it's [itex]-a_x [/itex] ?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  10. Jan 10, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no. da_z/dt isn't just a_z. Your last result says it's -a_x. Try looking at the second derivative part. You want to show e.g. d/dt(da_z/dt))=(-a_z). How would that work?

11. Jan 10, 2010 #10
    ahh i meant to write 'is it just -a_x'

can you integrate both sides? so da_z/dt is -a_x t , which is a function of t??

12. Jan 10, 2010 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a_x isn't a constant. You can't integrate it by multiplying it by t. Just differentiate da_z/dt, that will give you the second derivative, right?

13. Jan 10, 2010 #12
    ok...but how do i differentiate -a_x(t) ?

ohhh, it's just -(the x -component of j x a)?

14. Jan 10, 2010 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. da/dt=jxa tells you how to differentiate the components of a.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook