What is the displacement from Dallas to Chicago using a flat Earth model?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a map to find the displacement from Dallas to Chicago, with the given information that Atlanta is 728 miles north of east from Dallas and Chicago is 561 miles west of north from Atlanta. One person used the formula R = Sqrt (A^2+B^2 - 2(A)(B)(cos(theta))) to calculate the displacement and got a different answer, while the other person suggests using R = Sqrt (A^2+B^2 + 2(A)(B)(cos(theta))) instead.
sneeterpop

Homework Statement

A map suggests that Atlanta is 728 mi in a direction of 4.80° north of east from Dallas. The same map shows that Chicago is 561 miles in a direction of 20.8° west of north from Atlanta. Modeling the Earth as flat, use this information to find the displacement from Dallas to Chicago.

magnitude _______Miles

Homework Equations

R = Sqrt (A^2+B^2 - 2(A)(B)(cos(theta)))

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up getting 817 as my answer, the site kept saying its within 10% of the correct answer, but I may have rounded wrong. I didn't round until the very last part.

Physics news on Phys.org
resolve them into two vectors
then use vector addition
finally take the magnitude of the vector

i get an answer way off yours

sneeterpop said:

Homework Equations

R = Sqrt (A^2+B^2 - 2(A)(B)(cos(theta)))

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up getting 817 as my answer, the site kept saying its within 10% of the correct answer, but I may have rounded wrong. I didn't round until the very last part.
That equation should work. I used it and got a different answer, but within 10% of yours.

What are you using for theta?

i didnt use your formula
and the formula you are trying to use is not right
it should be
R = Sqrt (A^2+B^2 + 2(A)(B)(cos(theta)))

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector and its length represents the magnitude.

2. What is displacement?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a straight line distance between the two positions, regardless of the path taken.

3. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of an object's movement, while distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the total length of the path traveled.

4. How are vectors represented in mathematics?

Vectors are typically represented by a bold letter, such as v, with an arrow on top to indicate its direction. In mathematics, vectors are also represented using coordinates, where the x and y values represent the magnitude and direction of the vector.

5. What are some real-life examples of displacement?

Some examples of displacement in real life include a car moving from one location to another, a person walking from their house to the grocery store, and a plane flying from one country to another. Displacement can also occur in non-linear motions, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth or a roller coaster going up and down.