1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and displacement.

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The minute hand on a watch is 2.0 cm in length. What is the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand:
    a) From 8:00 to 8:20 A.M.?
    b) From 8:00 to 9:00 A.M.?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, first I drew a diagram of the clock and its initial position. Assuming 3:00 and 9:00 to be the x-axis, and 12:00 and 6:00 to be the Y-axis, and that 6:00 makes a 90° with 3:00, then when the minute hand points to 4:00 (denoting 8:20), it's angle, theta, would then make an angle of 30° with the negative x-axis. So, the displacement of the minute hand would then be:
    [itex]\vec{d} = 4 * 2.0 cm = 8 cm[/itex] [30° below the horizontal]
    Is this correct?

As for b, the displacement is equal to 0, since the minute hand ends up exactly where it started after a change in distance from 8:00 to 9:00 A.M., correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So you have a triangle with two sides of 2 cm, and the third side of 8 cm?

Can you draw that?

4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    So, now I would need break the 2 cm side that makes an angle of 30 degrees with the negative x-axis into components, correct?

5. Oct 1, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

At 20 mins past, the hand makes an angle with the positive x-axis.

Any method that gets the right answer is okay. I broke the triangle up into two equal triangles.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook