1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and "displacement"

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    I'm just starting to learn about vectors, and I was trying to figure out what the vector components mean physically. I've seen two definitions of vectors, and the first is a that a vector is something with a size and a direction. The second definition I saw defined vectors as "displacements in space" and that given an example vector, say (3,4,1) that would represent a displacement of 3 in the x direction, 4 in the y direction and 1 in the z direction.

This made a lot of sense to me intuitively - that looking at it as displacement would explain why parallel vectors are equal and why vectors are coordinate-independent. However, although I don't know much about it, I know displacement is defined to be a vector in itself, so I can't see how it could be part of the definition of a vector.

So my question is, do vector components represent displacement? And if the don't, what physical quantity/term do they represent?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Vector components are just other vectors, albeit ones which are usually parallel with a coordinate system or other convenient reference. Vectors can be used to represent positions in space, forces, moments, or other quantities which are composed of a magnitude and a direction.

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The way I read this, it seems the wrong way round. Displacement is an example of a Vector. A Vector is not (necessarily) a Displacement.
    The components represent the same quantity as the original vector. The 'deeper' significance of what they mean is that they can be just an abstraction. There doesn't have to be a Force, Displacement or E Field in that particular direction. It's just convenient for the purpose of doing the calculation.

5. Nov 18, 2014 #4
    Thank you both :) I think I understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook