1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and finding components

1. Sep 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the x component of a vector A, in the xy plane, is half as large as the magnitude of the vector, the tangent of the angle between the vector and the x axis is:
    A rad 3
    B 1/2
    C (rad3) / 2
    D 3/2
    E 3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first drew a right triangle and realized that the description fit a 30 - 60 - 90 triangle. Is it wrong to assume that the vector and its components make a right triangle?

So I assumed that the magitude of the vector was 2x, the x component x, and the y component (rad 3) x. The tangent of the angle between the angle and x axis I would then be (rad3)x / x = rad3.
    Is this correct? According to my answer sheet, the answer is D (3/2). I dont think the solution sheet is correct
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2
    Y and X axis make a right angle in any reasonable coordinate system. So vector, x and y-axis will make a right triangle.
    If rad means square root, then [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is the correct answer.
  4. Oct 1, 2010 #3
    Thanks! I think the answer sheet was wrong. And by rad 3 I did mean square root 3.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook