1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and impulse force

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fast ball is pitched at a batter who hits a pop fly vertically into the air. The ball was moving horizontally at 38.45 m/s when it was hit by the bat. As it left the bat it was moving vertically and reached a maximum height of 44.196m. The mass of a baseball is 0.1417 kg. If the ball was in contact with the bat for 3/1000 of a second, determine the magnitude and direction of the impulse force with which it was struck.

I need to find the change in momentum. So I need to find the initial and final velocity. The only thing left that I can't do is find the final velocity. How do I calculate it when all that I know is the vertical height?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

For vertical motion, there is a constant downwards acceleration of g [we are told to take g= 9.8, 9.81 or 10 depending what level Physics you are taking]

From that , and the height reached, you can calculate the initial velocity.

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    but I don't have the time and the formula is v=vo + at

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4
    or s=vot + a(1/2 a) t2

6. Sep 22, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

ever heard of V2 = Vo2 + 2as

7. Sep 22, 2011 #6
    OK, but the acceleration would be negative, so how can I find the square root?

8. Sep 22, 2011 #7

PeterO

Homework Helper

Yes, it is negative, but you have to move it to the other side of the equation [whence it will become positive] since you are trying to find Vo.

V = 0 because it has finally stopped going up when it reaches maximum height.

9. Sep 22, 2011 #8
    Ohh, I thought I was looking for V. Vo = 29.43 j m/s

So I found Pi= 5.448i kgm/s
    and Pf= 4.17j kgm/s

I need to find the change in momentum so Pf-Pi, how do I go about subtracting those vectors?

10. Sep 22, 2011 #9

PeterO

Homework Helper

A pythagorus solution is what you are after.

The change in momentum has to get rid of a lot of horizontal momentum, and produce a lot of vertical momentum at the same time, so it will have an up component, and a "back towards the pitcher" component

11. Sep 22, 2011 #10
    So Vo is 29.43 m/s, and the back towards pitcher component is -29.43 m/s correct?

And I would just need to find the horizontal velocity ?

12. Sep 22, 2011 #11

PeterO

Homework Helper

No. The ball arrived at 38+ m/s, then went up at 29+ m/s, so the change is 38+ back, and 29+ up.

13. Sep 22, 2011 #12
    OK, so what would the variation of momentum be ?

P = mv

I have (4.17 j - 5.45 i) kgm/s But my problem is that I can't subtract j's and i's.

I need either two horizontal vectors or two vertical vectors

Then I just need to divide the change in momentum by 3/1000

14. Sep 22, 2011 #13
    OK so I used the pythagorea theorem but that gave me the resulting momentum when I only need the difference in momentum.

It's probably really simple, I'm just not seeing it right now...

15. Sep 22, 2011 #14
    I ended up just doing (4.17j-5.448i) / 3/1000
    Fnet=(1390j-1816i) N

does that work?

16. Sep 22, 2011 #15

PeterO

Homework Helper

NO.

This question is basically a test of whether you can add and subtract vectors. Looks like you can't.
    It is done by drawing arrows which forms triangles which you use trigonometry and/or pythagorus to solve. Google search if you can't find it in your own text.

17. Sep 22, 2011 #16

PeterO

Homework Helper

The bit I highlighted is a real problem. You have to learn how to do that.

18. Sep 22, 2011 #17
    I actually do know how to subtract vectors, but my professor had said that we did not have time to cover that section, so we wouldn't see vector addition/subtraction.
    So I assumed we wouldn't have any assignments on it, and thought there was another way to do this problem.

Anyways, I ended up doing it anyway and found 2286.57N (N52.6degresW)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook