1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and linear dependence

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For what values of x are the vectors,

[1]
    [x]
    [2x]

[1]
    [-1]
    [-2]

[2]
    [1]
    [x]

linearly dependent?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made a matrix,

[1 ; 1 ; 2 ; 0]
    [x ;-1 ; 1 ; 0]
    [2x;-2 ; x ; 0]

but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get rid of the x's in the first row, if I get rid of one of the x's then I'm left with nothing to get rid of the other.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not just compute the following determinant:
    [tex] \begin{vmatrix} 1 & 1 & 2 \\ x & -1 & 1 \\ 2x & -2 & x \end{vmatrix}[/tex]
    The determinant will be zero iff the vectors are linearly dependent.

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
    Well, I haven't learned about determinants in class yet so I don't know how to do that. What we learned in class was to find pivots and if there are 1 or more free variables then it is linearly dependent.

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4
    Ok, trying out the determinant idea, I got x = 2 and x = -1. Did I do it right?

6. Sep 25, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

There isn't any x in the first row. So what you have to do is to use row-reduction to reduce it to reduced row echelon form. Along the way, note all those cases whereby you multiply each row with a factor involving x which may not be defined for certain values of x. For example, if you multiplied row 1 by 1/x, you should note x=0 is undefined.

So collect all those special cases and perform from the start assuming x is given those forbidden values. So as you can see, this makes it rather tedious.

The other way as you have done it yields -2 and -1. That's correct.

7. Sep 25, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How about just using the definition of "linearly dependent"?

A set of vectors, {u, v, w} is "linearly dependent" if and only if there exist numbers, a, b, c, not all 0, such that au+ bv+ cw= 0.

Here, u= <1, x, 2x>, v= <1, -1, -2> and w= <2, 1, x> so our equation is
    a<1, x, 2x>+ b<1, -1, -2>+ c<2, 1, x>= 0 or
    <a+ b+ 2c, ax-b+ c, 2ax-2b+ cx>= <0, 0, 0> which gives the three equations
    a+ b+ 2c= 0, ax- b+ c= 0, 2ax- 2b+ cx= 0. "x" is a parameter so this is a set of three equations in 3 variables a, b, and c. In general, we can solve such a set for single values of a, b, and c and, since a=b=c= 0 obviously satisfy the equations, that would be the "usual" solution. So we are really asking "for what values of x" can we NOT find a single solution. To answer that, TRY to solve the equations.

Obviously, adding the first two equations eliminates b: (1+x)a+ 3c= 0. Almost as obviously, adding twice the first equation to the third also eliminates b: 2(1+x)a+ (4+ x)c. Multiply the first of those equations by 2 and subtract from the other:(4+ x)c- 6c= (-2+ x)c= 0. If we just divide by -2+ x, we get c= 0 and then we have (1+x)a= 0. Dividing that by -1 gives a= 0. Of course, if a and b are both 0, any of the first three equations gives b= 0. That is the condition that the three vectors be independent. For what values of x can we NOT solve for a or c so the three vectors are dependent?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?