1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and magnitudes

1. Jan 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Vector A has magnitude 3 and points to the right. Vector B has magnitude 4 and points vertically upwards. Find the magnitude of vector C such that A + B + C = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

C = SQRT[4^2 + 5^2] = 6.4

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a picture.

4. Jan 9, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What SteamKing said. It's not 6.4

5. Jan 9, 2014 #4
    Where did the "5" come from?

6. Jan 9, 2014 #5
    Very good idea to draw a picture as SteamKing said.

Another approach is to express the direction of the vectors with ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## components, where ##\hat{i}## represents the x-direction of the vector and ##\hat{j}## represents the y-direction of the vector.

Here is the concrete demonstration of the vectors: if a vector points to the right, then we obtain the positive ##\hat{i}## component. If a vector points up, then we obtain the positive ##\hat{j}## component. From here, we see that if a vector points up and right, then we obtain both positive ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## components.

Remember, when combining vectors, you have to add their magnitudes component-wise as you do with variables in pre-calculus class.

Note: The combination of those two vectors don't give you the answer you want since it points up-right. You need to figure out the vector ##\vec{C}## in which ##\vec{A} + \vec{B} + \vec{C} = 0##

7. Jan 9, 2014 #6
    It should be 3^2. Careless blunder

8. Jan 9, 2014 #7
    Capture.JPG

9. Jan 9, 2014 #8
    Your C vector has two heads. It should only have one. Which one do you judge is the correct one?
    Chet

10. Jan 9, 2014 #9
    The correct one points to the left.

11. Jan 9, 2014 #10
    The vector ##\vec{C}## does NOT point to the right. As I mentioned before:

The combination of those two vectors don't give you the answer you want since it points up-right. You need to figure out the vector ##\vec{C}## in which ##\vec{A} + \vec{B} + \vec{C} = 0##

Good. Also, which ##y##-direction is the vector ##\vec{C}## pointing at? Remember that its direction is opposite to the combination of the two vectors ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}##, which points up-right. The vector ##\vec{C}## does not only point to the left. It also points... (You figure out the y-direction)

12. Jan 9, 2014 #11
    It also points downwards. It is in the direction -j hat

13. Jan 9, 2014 #12
    Nicely done. ;) Finally, determine the magnitude of ##\vec{C}##, and you are done.

14. Jan 10, 2014 #13
    Magnitude of c = 5

15. Jan 10, 2014 #14

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted