Vectors and Motion Problems

In summary, the conversation discussed four problems involving projectile motion and two-dimensional motion with position and velocity vectors. The first problem involved a train moving east at 30m/s and a person on the train shooting a dart at an angle of 30 degrees north of east. The second problem involved a projectile being fired from a balcony and striking the ground after 10.4 seconds. The third problem involved finding the magnitude and direction of velocity at a specific time and the position of the object at a specific time. The fourth problem involved a ball on a string moving in a vertical circle and finding the horizontal displacement when the string breaks. The solutions to some of the problems were provided, while others remained uncertain.
spyroarcher

Homework Statement

It's quite a handful but:
1. A train is moving east at 30m/s along a long, straight section of track. A person on the train has a dart gun that can shoot rubber-tipped darts at a speed of 10m/2. If the person aims the gun at an angle of 30 degrees north of east (I think it means 30 degrees above the horizontal?) and pulls the trigger, what will be the magnitude and direction of the velocity of the dart as it leaves the gun, relative to a person on the ground watching the train pass by?

2. A projectile is fired from a balcony 20m high at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. It strikes the ground 10.4sec later.
a)What is initial speed.
b)What is magnitude and direction of the velocity vector after 7 seconds.
c) With the balcony as the origin, find the x and y coordinates of the highest point of the motion.

3.An object moves in two dimensions with a position vector of:
vector r(t)=(4+3t^2-(1/3)t^3)i+(t^2-5)j
a) Find magnitude and direction of the velocity at t=1s.
b)Find the position of the object when the x-component of the velocity is maximized.
c)Find the angle between the velocity vector and acceleration vector at t=1s.

4. A ball on a string moves in a vertical circle of radius R at a constant speed with a centripetal acceleration a. At its lowest point, the ball is negligible height above the ground. After several revolutions, the strong breaks at the highest point in the motion. In terms of R, a, and g, find the horizontal displacement of the ball from the time the string breaks.

Homework Equations

v(x)=V(i)cos(theta)
V(y)=V(i)sin(theta)
(The only ones i used so far)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I got the first 2 questions right, but I'd like to make sure that I did, then the rest kind of got me confused.
1. 40m/s, 30 degrees (I'm paranoid about this answer and does direction=theta?)
2a.98.07m/s
2b.87.158m/s, 12.97 degrees
2c.(5, 122.69)
3a. sqrt(29) and 21.8 degrees
3b. This is where I kind of got confused, so I derive the vector to (6t-t^2)i+(2t)j, and found that t=3. So do I then just plug 3 in for the position vector and get my answer?
3c. 52.76 degrees (I most likely did this one wrong)
4. 0? I mean i think its saying that the string breaks off when it's at its highest point, making it shoot a straight 90, therefore no horizontal displacement, but I am very sure that I am reading this question 100% wrong.
Thanks all for helping me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without actually having done the problem, I'll give you what I can.

1 can't be right because the gun wasn't fired all in the same direction, the total velocity has to be less than the sum of the two

2 don't know, maybe okay.

Your work for 3b is okay, so you should get the right answer for that. 3a looks okay. No idea about 3c.

For 4, it's actually the opposite. If the string breaks off at the highest point all the tangential velocity is pointing in the horizontal direction.

Wait is the x component going to be 40? and how is it not 30 degrees

You have to use galilean relativity on both x components to find the total x component. Then you you will have the correct y component, and then you can find the total velocity. Looks to me, with mental math, like the answer should be ≈39 and the angle would be arctan(5/~38.6) (not 30º, a bit weird huh? gets weirder in special relativity).

Last edited:

I would like to commend you for attempting these challenging problems. Vectors and motion can be quite tricky, but with practice and understanding, you will be able to solve them with ease.

Now, onto your solutions:

1. Your answer for the magnitude and direction of the dart's velocity is correct. The direction is indeed 30 degrees above the horizontal, and it is important to note that direction is different from theta. Direction refers to the angle with respect to a reference point, while theta is typically used to represent the angle in mathematical equations.

2. Your answer for the initial speed is correct. For part b, the magnitude and direction of the velocity vector after 7 seconds can be found using the equations you provided, but with t=7 seconds instead of t=0. For part c, you can use the equations for projectile motion to find the x and y coordinates of the highest point. Remember to take into account the initial position of the projectile.

3. Your answer for the magnitude and direction of the velocity at t=1s is correct. For part b, you can find the x-coordinate of the velocity vector by setting the y-component to 0 and solving for t. Then, plug this value of t into the position vector to find the position of the object. For part c, you can use the equations for acceleration in two dimensions to find the angle between the velocity and acceleration vectors at t=1s.

4. Your interpretation of the problem and answer are correct. Since the string breaks at the highest point, the ball will have no horizontal displacement. Therefore, the answer is 0.

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck on any future problems. Science is all about collaboration and learning from others. Good luck!

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position, including both magnitude and direction. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes the magnitude of an object's movement.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that describes the net change in an object's position, including both magnitude and direction. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes the total length of an object's path.

4. How do you calculate the resultant vector?

The resultant vector is the vector sum of two or more individual vectors. To calculate it, you must determine the magnitude and direction of each vector and then use vector addition to find the resultant vector.

5. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can have negative values. This indicates the direction of the vector is in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, a vector with a magnitude of 5 m/s and a direction of -45 degrees would have a negative x and y component, indicating it is moving in the opposite direction of the positive x and y axes.