1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and planes

1. Jan 24, 2006 #1
    Hello. I need some help with the following problem:

Find the component of u if u is perpendicular to the plane x- 3y + 4z =0 and the magnitude of u is 3.

My work:

Some vector v is on the plane

v = 1i – 3j + 4k

so then the dot product of u and v = 0

Now I’m stuck and don’t know where to go from here.

The answer in the back of the book is: [3/sqrt 26]i - [9/sqrt 26]j + [12/sqrt 26]k

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2006 #2
    do you know what th edefinition of a plane equation is? and have you seen this equation before N.P-N.P0=0 OR N.(P-P0)=0 or N.P+D=0

do you know what the number SQRT(26) stands for in your above question?
    and do you know how to change the magnitude of a given vector?

4. Jan 24, 2006 #3
    yes I know the definition of a plane. Yes I have seen the equation of a plane before in the form a(x-x1) + b(y-y1) + c(z-z1) = 0.

Yes I know that the sqrt(26) in the answer is the magnitude of v (v = 1i – 3j + 4k ). And i think I know how to change the magnitude of a vector (if you mean change a vector into a unit vector, then yes).

I know the answer the book gave is v/(the magnitude of v). But why would you do that to get the "component of u if u is perpendicular to the plane x- 3y + 4z =0 and the magnitude of u is 3"

Thanks

5. Jan 24, 2006 #4
    is the vector v = 1i – 3j + 4k on the plane?

6. Jan 24, 2006 #5
    Ohhh. I see where you were going. Thanks. I see it not. I did not realize that the vector I found was perpendicular to the plane because of the definition of a plane. I assumed that the vector was on the plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?