1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and projectiles

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane heads out to L.A with a velocity of 220m/s in a NE direction, relative to the ground, and encounters a wind blowing head-on at 45m/s, what is the resultant velocity of the plane, relative to the ground.

2. Relevant equations

Pythagorean Theorem ?
    Simple subtraction

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is an Image I made in paint to help visualize the solution of the problem... I believe I'm not solving this correctly.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9841/physics1.jpg [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm pretty much grabbing in the dark here since I cannot understand everything. Sorry for wasting your time in a way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NE is at a bearing of 45 degrees so that that "northerly" component of the plane's velocity is (220 m/s)cos(45 deg) and the "easterly" component is (220 m/s)sin(45 deg). Now, the westward wind doesn't affect the velocity along the N-S axis, but it does affect the velocity along the E-W axis. Taking east to be the positive direction and west to be the negative direction along the E-W axis, the new velocity along this axis is:

(220 m/s)sin(45 deg) - 45 m/s = v_ew

(where I've given it a name, to remove clutter).

The resultant total velocity is easy to find. The N-S and E-W components still form a right triangle, so that the sum of their squares is equal to the square of the total velocity (in magnitude):

(v_total)^2 = [(220 m/s)cos(45)]^2 + (v_ew)^2

EDIT: you can also get the angle of the resultant from this same triangle.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    Doesn't the problem say a head on wind? where are you getting westerly?

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good call, I got it from the OP's diagram, but I see now that the OP was just wrong.

To the OP: if the two vectors lie along the same line, you can add them by simply adding their magnitudes (or subtracting them if they are in opposite directions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook