Vector Math: Squares, Roots, Logarithms

In summary: Therefore, when a vector is squared in physics, it usually means taking the dot product with itself, resulting in a scalar quantity representing the magnitude of the vector.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
If someone takes a vector, and squares it, does it become a scalar?

Also, is it possible to take the square root of a vector, and would the result be a vector or a scalar?

Lastly, the logarithm of a measurement is dimensionless. However, if you raise the base of that logarithm to the power of the logarithm, are the units recovered?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Char. Limit said:
If someone takes a vector, and squares it, does it become a scalar?

How do you square a vector?

Char. Limit said:
Also, is it possible to take the square root of a vector, and would the result be a vector or a scalar?

Probably depends on the definition of squaring a vector, above. Usually I'd say neither is defined, but there are cases where it's useful to define them; in those cases it would depend on the definition. If you define vector multiplication as
v1 * v2 = {[n n], v1 = v2 = [0 0 ... (n zeros) ... 0]
{ apricot, otherwise
for any vectors v1, v2 then sqrt([a b]) = [0 0 ... (a zeros) ... 0 0] if a = b and undefined otherwise.

Char. Limit said:
Lastly, the logarithm of a measurement is dimensionless.

No.

Well, I was considering the standard equation for kinetic energy:

[tex]E_k=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

Velocity is a vector, and you are squaring it.

Also, if the logarithm of measurement isn't dimensionless, than what is it? Take for example pKa... if not dimensionless, what are its units?

Char. Limit said:
Well, I was considering the standard equation for kinetic energy:

[tex]E_k=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

Velocity is a vector, and you are squaring it.

Yeah, funny thing that... you're really squaring speed in that equation -- direction plays no part. Don't ask me why it's described as velocity.

Edit: If you interpret squaring as the dot product of a vector with itself, then squaring a vector *does* give a scalar. Of course norming it and squaring gives the same result... at least classically.

Char. Limit said:
Also, if the logarithm of measurement isn't dimensionless, than what is it? Take for example pKa... if not dimensionless, what are its units?

Ka is dimensionless, and so is its logarithm pKa.

Last edited:
OK, let me present a different example...

From first-order kinetic rate laws...

[tex]ln[A]_t - ln[A]_0 = -kt[/tex]

What is the unit [tex]ln[A]_t[/tex], given that the unit for [tex][A]_t[/tex] is M, or molar?

Also, from what I've heard of kinetic energy, v is described as velocity. I'm also trying to think of another equation where a vector is squared, and all that I'm coming up with is [tex]a=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]...

When you have vector quantities that get squared in physics, it usually means taking the dot product (scalar product) of the vector with itself. This gives the square of the magnitude of the vector, since it is always parallel with itself and gives a directional cosine of 1. Similarly, a vector (cross) product of a vector with itself always gives zero, so there's no sensible reason for including it in an expression.

There are three kinds of products for vectors:

Scalar product, which is a product of vector and scalar doesn't,apply here- you can't take the scalar product of a vector with itself.

You can take take the cross product of a vector with itself but the result is always the 0 vector so [itex]\vec{v}\times\vec{v}[/itex] is not interesting and we don't use [itex]\vec{v}^2[/itex] to mean that.

That leaves only the dot product. [itex]\vec{v}^2= \vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{v}|[/itex], a scalar.

HallsofIvy said:
That leaves only the dot product. [itex]\vec{v}^2= \vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{v}|[/itex], a scalar.

[tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}=|\vec{v}|^2[/tex]

What is vector math?

Vector math is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and analysis of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors to get the resulting vector.

What is the difference between a square and a square root?

A square is the result of multiplying a number by itself, while a square root is the inverse operation and gives you the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. In other words, the square root of a number is the number that, when squared, equals the original number.

What is a logarithm and how is it used in vector math?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. In vector math, logarithms are often used to solve for the exponent in an exponential equation or to simplify complex calculations involving large numbers.

What are some real-world applications of vector math?

Vector math has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations in physics, to analyze and design structures in engineering, and to create 3D graphics in computer games and animations.