Finding the End Point of a Transformed Vector

In summary, the artist wants to draw a second line starting at (10,20) that is 270 pixels long and at a 30 degree angle clockwise from the first line. Relevant equations were attempted, but the missing variables couldn't be solved for. The artist is currently unsure of how to proceed.
magnifik

Homework Statement

The origin (0,0) is in the upper left corner of the image. +x axis goes to the right while +y axis goes down. The artist draws a line from the pixel location (10,20) to the location (210,200) . She wishes to draw a second line that starts at (10,20), is 270 pixels long, and is at angle of 30deg measured clockwise from the first line. At which pixel location should this second line end? Give your answer to the nearest pixel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are your relevant equations? Where's your attempt at a solution?

ideasrule said:
Where are your relevant equations? Where's your attempt at a solution?

I tried solving for the magnitude, but realized I had two missing variables i had to solve for
250=sqrt[(10+x)^2 + (20+y)^2] .. this didn't work
i tried adding the first two vectors to get (220,220) but didn't know what to do after that

i'm just lost...

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing its magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing its direction.

2. How are vectors typically written?

Vectors are typically written using bold letters or with an arrow on top, such as v or ⟶v.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

While a vector has both magnitude and direction, a scalar only has magnitude. Scalars are represented by regular letters, such as m for mass or t for time.

4. What is a transformation in relation to vectors?

A transformation is a mathematical operation that takes in a vector and outputs a new vector. It can change the magnitude, direction, or both of the original vector.

5. How are transformations represented?

Transformations can be represented using matrices or functions. Matrices are typically used for linear transformations, while functions can be used for more complex transformations.