Finding Coefficients for Vector Equivalence: A Trigonometric Approach

In summary, you found that u=1 and v=1 is the solution to your problem. Now you need to go back to find that in some rational manner, rather than simply guessing at the answer.
Vexxon

Homework Statement

A screenshot of the problem:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9194/homeworkkd6.jpg

Homework Equations

Not sure... possibly the dot product of two vectors?

v*w = a(1)a(2) + b(1)b(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Part of the problem is that I'm not entirely sure what the question is asking for. I think it's talking about the coefficents for the two vectors which will allow those vectors to produce the same vector as X.

I tried plugging (2*pi/5) into the equations above and adding them together giving me (using decimal approximations because I don't know how to find the exact values):

U + V = -.642 I + 1.260 J

Then I try replacing X for:

8I + 3J = -.642 I + 1.260 J

Which doesn't make much sense to me... should I treat I and J as variables and solve for them? I think I'm on the completely wrong track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By dumb luck, it appears that you have found that u=1 and v=1 is the solution to your problem. Now you need to go back to find that in some rational manner, rather than simply guessing at the answer.

How about starting by writing
X = u U + v V and then taking a dot product with U? What will that get you?

heh, well the problem is that isn't the right answer (it's an online submission process, and apparently 1 is not the correct answer)

Going from another angle, I thought about trying to reduce it to two equations of two variables... something like:

ucos(a)-vsin(a)=8
usin(a)+vcos(a)=3

where a = theta.

If I do that, though, how do I find exact values for sin(2pi/5) and cos(2pi/5)?

If you do as I suggested, and write
X = u U + v V = 8I + 3J
then
X.U = u = (8I + 3J).(cos theta I + sin theta J) = 8 cos theta + 3 sin theta
which you can then evaluate. Does that do anything for you?

Ah, actually yeah.

solving all the way through

u ~ 5.325
v ~ -6.682

Thanks!

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (or length) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude.

What are some common operations on vectors?

Some common operations on vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, dot product, and cross product.

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships between angles and sides. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles and is also applied in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

What are the three basic trigonometric functions?

The three basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle to its angles.

How are vectors and trigonometry related?

Vectors and trigonometry are closely related as vectors can be represented using trigonometric functions. For example, the x and y components of a vector can be found using trigonometric ratios.