1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and Trigonometry

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A screenshot of the problem:

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure... possibly the dot product of two vectors?

v*w = a(1)a(2) + b(1)b(2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part of the problem is that I'm not entirely sure what the question is asking for. I think it's talking about the coefficents for the two vectors which will allow those vectors to produce the same vector as X.

I tried plugging (2*pi/5) into the equations above and adding them together giving me (using decimal approximations because I don't know how to find the exact values):

U + V = -.642 I + 1.260 J

Then I try replacing X for:

8I + 3J = -.642 I + 1.260 J

Which doesn't make much sense to me... should I treat I and J as variables and solve for them? I think I'm on the completely wrong track.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2
    By dumb luck, it appears that you have found that u=1 and v=1 is the solution to your problem. Now you need to go back to find that in some rational manner, rather than simply guessing at the answer.

How about starting by writing
    X = u U + v V and then taking a dot product with U? What will that get you?
  4. Jan 22, 2009 #3
    heh, well the problem is that isn't the right answer (it's an online submission process, and apparently 1 is not the correct answer)

Going from another angle, I thought about trying to reduce it to two equations of two variables... something like:

where a = theta.

If I do that, though, how do I find exact values for sin(2pi/5) and cos(2pi/5)?
  5. Jan 22, 2009 #4
    If you do as I suggested, and write
    X = u U + v V = 8I + 3J
    X.U = u = (8I + 3J).(cos theta I + sin theta J) = 8 cos theta + 3 sin theta
    which you can then evaluate. Does that do anything for you?
  6. Jan 22, 2009 #5
    Ah, actually yeah.

solving all the way through

u ~ 5.325
    v ~ -6.682

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?