Vectors and Components: How to Add and Multiply Vectors

In summary, given two vectors b=x+y and c=x+z, finding b+c is as easy as multiplying each component by 5 and adding them together.
Oblio
^^ ^^
1.) Given the two vectors b=x+y and c=x+z find b+c, 5b+2c

2.) r+s = (r1+s1, r2+s2, r3+s3), if r and s are vectors with components, r=(r1,r2,r3) and
s=(s1,s2,s3)

3.) Is this correct for b+c?
b+c= (bx+cx,by,cz)

To me that doesn't look right, but I think I'm applying the rules correctly. I don't know how to approach 5b+2c because I don't know now to apply the scalars 5 and 2 to the vector components. How is that subquestion approached?

thanks alot

Edit: the ^ signs are supposed to appear over the x+y and the x+z within the b and c vectors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no that's not right.
you don't need to multiply the components x,y by b. Just add the components directly.

When you do 5b+2c first figure out what 5b is, just multiply each component by 5. The same with 2c, and then add the components like you do for b+c

Oblio said:
^^ ^^
1.) Given the two vectors b=x+y and c=x+z find b+c, 5b+2c
Surely, this is next best thing to trivial! Ignore the fact that these are vectors.
If these were just algebraic expressions and you are told that b= x+y, c= x+ z, what would you get substituting those into b+ c and 5b+ 2c?

2.) r+s = (r1+s1, r2+s2, r3+s3), if r and s are vectors with components, r=(r1,r2,r3) and
s=(s1,s2,s3)
?? I don't see a question here!
Are you asking if, given that r= (r1,r2,r3) and s= (s1,s2,s3), is r+s= (r1+s1, r2+s2, r3+s3)? It certainly is! That's the definition of addition of vectors in component form.

3.) Is this correct for b+c?
b+c= (bx+cx,by,cz)
Well, it can be if cy= 0 and bz= 0. In general, if b= (bx,by,bz), c= (cx,cy,cz) then
b+ c= (bx+cx,by+cy,bz+cz). If it happens that b= (bx,by,0), c= (cx,0,cz) then
b+c= (bx+cx,by,cz)- but only in that case.

To me that doesn't look right, but I think I'm applying the rules correctly. I don't know how to approach 5b+2c because I don't know now to apply the scalars 5 and 2 to the vector components. How is that subquestion approached?

thanks alot

Edit: the ^ signs are supposed to appear over the x+y and the x+z within the b and c vectors.
Well what "rules" are you talking about? Can you quote them?

How do you mean to add the components directly? Can't like terms only be added? i.e. x's with x's etc.

Halls of ivy, i was given a template to follow and 2.) was 'any given formulas'; that is what I was given. You are correct in saying that it is a definition.

So my first question is wrong your saying? cy wasn't even given in the question...

As Halls said, just treat them like ordinary algebra variables. They want you to get b+c and 5b+2c... in terms of x and y. How would you do it if they weren't vectors but just normal variables..

changing the form of the vectors a bit might help you see how to add them:
b=1x+1y+0z, c=1x+0y+1z
so for b+c=? just replace b by it's equation and c by it's equation and add.

Ok, I guess I thought it was more complicated then it was.

b+c= 2x+y+z
5b+2c=7x+5x+2z

the next part was to do bc as a dot product, the formula for this is AB=ABcos(theta)
since no angle is given, the answer is simply:
x^2+xz+yx+yz
ya?

no that's not right it's actually that: ||A||*||B||*cos(theta) = A dot B
where ||A|| = distance of A to the origin: [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/itex]

you can use the definition that if you have
[tex]\vec{u}=u_x+u_y+u_z[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}=v_x+v_y+v_z[/tex]
the dot product of u and v =
[tex]u_x*v_x+u_y*v_y+u_z*v_z[/tex]

so you just multiply the x,y,z components and add them together.

Last edited:
Oblio said:
Ok, I guess I thought it was more complicated then it was.

b+c= 2x+y+z
5b+2c=7x+5x+2z

the next part was to do bc as a dot product, the formula for this is AB=ABcos(theta)
since no angle is given, the answer is simply:
x^2+xz+yx+yz
ya?

Your answer is correct, though be careful about the right notation and all that...

So this would work:
[tex]\vec{x}\cdot\vec{x} + \vec{x}\cdot\vec{z} + \vec{y}\cdot\vec{x} + \vec{y}\cdot\vec{z}[/tex]

or this one:

[tex]|\vec{x}|^2 + \vec{x}\cdot\vec{z} + \vec{y}\cdot\vec{x} + \vec{y}\cdot\vec{z}[/tex]

Because the angle between [tex]\vec{x}[/tex] and itself is 0, so the cosine of 0 is 1, and the dot product of x with itself becomes [tex]|\vec{x}|^2[/tex]

But in A dot B you need to know the angle between A and B, in this case the angle between the vector's x+y and x+z.

Usually you should use A dot B = ||A||||B||cos(theta) when the vectors are given with numbers and an angle.

bob1182006 said:
But in A dot B you need to know the angle between A and B, in this case the angle between the vector's x+y and x+z.

Usually you should use A dot B = ||A||||B||cos(theta) when the vectors are given with numbers and an angle.

Yes, if he knows the angles he should use them. I assumed the angles weren't given. In which case, I don't see what's wrong with just writing [tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}[/tex]

I'm assuming x,y and z are arbitrary vectors... not necessarily in the x direction y direction or z direction. The question doesn't specify them being any specific type of vectors...

hm..well using the other definition of dot product I get x^2 as the solution since (x*x+y*0y+0z*z)=x^2

and I think that book uses x/y/z instead of i/j/k but if it's wrong it should still be x^2 I think.

bob1182006 said:
hm..well using the other definition of dot product I get x^2 as the solution since (x*x+y*0y+0z*z)=x^2

and I think that book uses x/y/z instead of i/j/k but if it's wrong it should still be x^2 I think.

If they are arbitrary vectors then it won't be x^2.

But I think you're right about them being i/j/k, since he mentions the "^" in which case the answer is 1. |i|^2 = 1.

Sorry if I confused the OP. :redface:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with its length representing the magnitude.

2. What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the parts that make up its magnitude in different directions. They are usually represented by the x and y axes, where the x-component is the horizontal part and the y-component is the vertical part of the vector.

3. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. Alternatively, it can also be found using the formula: magnitude = √(x^2 + y^2).

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity because it only has a numerical value, while velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed and direction.

5. How do you add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method, where you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other and draw a new vector from the tail of the first to the head of the last. The resulting vector is the sum (or difference) of the two original vectors. Alternatively, you can also use the component method, where you add or subtract the components of the vectors separately.