1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors: Angle Direction

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I had a problem on my physic hw, and I keep on getting it wrong, so I was wondering:
    in a vector, if the x direction is negative, and the y direction is positive, would the angle direction also be negative? What happens if the x direction is positive, and the y direction is negative? A degree can't be negative right?

also,

2) what does it means when the angle direction is "from the positive x axis" or "counterclockwise from the positive x axis is positive"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In my hw, I figured out the magnitude already, which is 81.2, and the x direction is -81.22 and y direction is 1.95, so I found the angle direction by tan-1(1.93/-81.22) and got -1.37, but i just ignore the negative sign, since i assume that a degree cant be negative.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

You clearly need to draw your self a picture.

With a vertical y axis [positive above the x axis, negative below, as per normal] and a horizontal x axis [positive to the right of the y-axis and negative to the left of the y axis, as per normal]

You should then locate the point (-81.2, 1.95) which would be just above the point -81.2 on the x-axis.

One common convention for angles - mimicking polar co-ordinates - is to define angles relative to the positive x-axis, travelling anti clockwise [travelling clockwise means a negative angle.
    There is nothing more mysterious about a negative angle than there is with the negative x-axis. It merely means "going the other way"

The angle you are looking for is just a little less than 180 degrees,

Lets imagine the angle was 177o. The same point is at angle -183o - but it seems you were asked for the positive answer.

You will also need Pythagoras to find the actual magnitude of the vector.

Note: If you are familiar with swapping from rectangular to polar co-ordinates on your calculator, you could just use that transform. Most people are not familiar with that use of a calculator however.

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

Note: your answer of -1.37 is not "entirely" wrong. It means the angle is related to 1.37 degrees, but in a quadrant where the tangent is negative [2nd and 4th]. SO the answer you really want is (180 - 1.37) or (360 - 1.37); meaning 178.63 or 358.63.

A diagram of the situation will show that the 178.63 is what you are after.

5. Jul 26, 2012 #4
    Thank you for helping me out, but i am still confused on why 180-1.37?

6. Jul 26, 2012 #5
    PeterO answered the question in his post.

7. Jul 26, 2012 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

If you recall your trigonometry: we have expressions like:

sin(180-θ) = sin(θ) 2nd quadrant
    sin(180+θ) = -sin(θ) 3rd quadrant
    sin(360-θ) = -sin(θ) 4th quadrant

also
    tan(180-θ) = -tan(θ)
    tan(180+θ) = tan(θ)
    tan(360-θ) = -tan(θ)

and a set for cosine.

since the tangent was negative in your problem, it meant you should use either
    tan(180-θ) = -tan(θ)
    or
    tan(360-θ) = -tan(θ)

A diagram would show your angle was in the 2nd quadrant [between 90 and 180 degrees] so tan(180-θ) was used.

8. Jul 26, 2012 #7
    What would happen if the x direction is +81.22, and the y direction is -1.95?

9. Jul 26, 2012 #8

PeterO

Homework Helper

Your diagram would show you it is in the 4th quadrant, so would use (360 - θ) to get 358.63.

That answer could also be expressed as -1.37

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook