What is the component of weight along a ramp?

In summary, the question is asking how to resolve the weight of an object, which is mg, into a component that is parallel to the ramp. This involves using trigonometry, specifically sine or cosine, to find the appropriate component. The hypotenuse of the triangle should be the force of gravity, and the angle of the ramp should be 30 degrees. By using the trig function of either sine or cosine at 30 degrees, the component can be calculated. However, it is important to set up the triangle correctly, with the right angle formed between the ramp and its normal vector.
heartOFphysic
Ramp.jpg

(see image for question)

I just don't know what this question means! What is the weight "parallel" to the ramp? Please any help on this would be appreciated. I can resolve vectors, but in this particular question, I just don't quite get what to resolve- it's confusing me a little bit, can someone please clarify this question and assist me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight is [itex]mg[/itex] so you'll need to resolve this vector (which obviously points straight down) into a component which is at 30 degrees to the horizontal (a little hint is that it always involves multiplying by sine or cosine of the angle of the ramp, you can draw out triangles and such but I find it more useful to figure out what you want to happen at 0 and 90 degrees to pick which trig function to use).

Triangle.jpg

(see image)
Yes so I get that! and the Hypotenuse is parallel to the ramp. so using Sine= Opp/Hyp

we get sin30= 7200N/Hyp

Hyp= 7200/sin30

so Hypotenuse = 14400N? so I get double the weight not half the weight! :cry:

Your triangle is set up wrong, you need one where the right angle is the formed between the ramp and its normal vector and the hypotenuse is the force of gravity. More simply just figure out whether sine or cosine is the appropriate choice and multiply the gravitational force by the trig function you chose of 30 degrees.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I can't picture this triangle at all- apologize for my ignorance!

I know the only way I can arrive at half the weight is by the calculation
sin30 X 7200 = 3200N

or Cos60 X 7200 = 3200N

anyone?

attachment.php?attachmentid=42308&stc=1&d=1325259090.jpg

check img

and you know component of any vector (of magnitude a) along any other line making angle b with it is a cos(b)

Attachments

• Ramp.jpg
    Ramp.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 496

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. In the context of a car on a ramp, a vector could represent the car's velocity or acceleration.

2. How are vectors used in analyzing a car on a ramp?

Vectors are used to represent the forces acting on the car and the resulting motion. This allows for a more precise analysis of the car's movement on the ramp.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the car's motion?

The angle of the ramp determines the magnitude and direction of the force of gravity acting on the car. This force, along with any other forces acting on the car, will determine the car's acceleration and therefore its motion on the ramp.

4. What is the relationship between vectors and forces?

Vectors can represent forces, as forces also have magnitude and direction. By using vectors, we can easily visualize and analyze the different forces acting on the car on the ramp.

5. How can vectors be used to calculate the car's acceleration on the ramp?

By breaking down the forces acting on the car into component vectors and using vector addition, we can calculate the net force and therefore the acceleration of the car on the ramp.