Does scalar multiplication affect the cross product of vectors?

In summary: I should have labeled it as an attempt not a solution.In summary, the cross product behaves as expected under scalar multiplication.
amy098yay
Mod note: Member warned about posting with no effort.

1. Homework Statement

Expand to the general case to explore how the cross product behaves under scalar multiplication k (a x b) = (ka) x b = a x (kb).

The Attempt at a Solution

would this be the right general case to portray the situation?

Attachments

• vectors1.docx
    98.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you use the definition of vector cross product?

ie A x B = | A | * | B | * sin ( angleAB ) u

Where u is the unit vector perpendicular to both A and B such that A, B, and u form a right handed system.

EDIT amended the definition where I left out the unit vector part.

Last edited:
You need to show an attempt. Normally I would issue a warning and possibly infraction points. You were hit with several points a day or so ago, and your posts have improved considerably, so I'll treat this one more informally.

The problem as you state it seems to be to prove that k (a x b) = (ka) x b = a x (kb). What you posted in the Word document is not any kind of attempt -- it seems to be just the statement of some larger problem

Please put your work directly in the input pane here - not in a PDF or Word file or other attachment. It's frustrating to have to open another window to view the work. Having the work right here makes it easier for us to insert a comment right where there is a problem.

One other thing. All of these vector problems fall under precalculus, not calculus, so I am moving this thread to that section (and leaving a forward link).

alright thanks

jedishrfu said:
Can't you use the definition of vector cross product?

ie A x B = | A | * | B | * sin ( angleAB )

That isn't the definition of the cross product. It is also incorrect. It is ##|A\times B|## that equals the right side but it still isn't the definition because ##A\times B## is a vector, not a scalar.

amy098yay said:
alright thanks
To do this (i.e., prove that k (a x b) = (ka) x b = a x (kb) ), let a, b, and c be arbitrary vectors such as a = <a1, a2, a3>, b = <b1, b2, b3>, and similar for c, and let k be an arbitrary scalar. Do not use specific numbers. Calculate all three cross products and show that they are all equal.

Sorry folks I left the unit vector part out in my haste to answer the question.

What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. This can also be represented by a determinant or using the right-hand rule.

What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The cross product of two vectors can be interpreted geometrically as the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. The direction of the cross product is perpendicular to this area, and the magnitude is equal to the area of the parallelogram.

How is the cross product related to the dot product?

The cross product and dot product are both operations on vectors, but they have different properties. The dot product results in a scalar, while the cross product results in a vector. Additionally, the dot product is commutative, while the cross product is not.

What are some real-world applications of the cross product?

The cross product has many applications in physics, engineering, and graphics. It is used to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and 3D rotations. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the orientation of objects and to create realistic lighting effects.