1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors: Cross Product

1. Feb 19, 2017 #1
    Hello, I apologize in advance for the way this post looks. I am new to this forum and I've never used LaTeX Primer. I noticed that someone has prevoiusly asked the same question, but I still do not understand how to get to the answer. Also, I tried posting an image but I could not; and this other post contains the image so I will leave a link to the other forum.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/cross-product-homework.352545/

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure shows two vectors $$ \vec T$$ and $$\vec U$$ separated by an angle $$θ_{TU}$$ You are given that $$\vec T =(3,1,0), \vec U =(2,4,0), ~and~ \vec T × \vec U = \vec V$$ Find the sine of the angle between $$\vec T ~and~ \vec U $$

2. Relevant equations

$$| \vec T × \vec U |= | \vec T || \vec V |\sinθ$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the answer is $$\frac {\sqrt{2}} 2$$ The magnitude of vector V is 10 and you square root that, 10 is also opposite of the angle theta. However, I don't understand how the hypotenuse is 20 therefore you would simplify $$\frac {\sqrt{10}} {\sqrt20}$$ to get the answer

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

You didn't compute ## T \times U ## as far as I can see. This is a necessary computation. The easiest way that I know is by the determinant method. Have they shown you the determinant method in your coursework? ## \\ ## Editing... Looking over your work, the correct equation is ## | T \times U|=|T||U| sin(\theta) ##. (The equation you have written is incorrect.) The correct result is thereby ## \frac{|V|}{|T||U|}=sin(\theta) ## where ## V=T \times U ##.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  4. Feb 20, 2017 #3
    Isn't the magnitude of T ##\sqrt{3^2+1^2+0^2}## = ##\sqrt{10}## and the magnitude of U ##\sqrt{2^2+4^2+0^2}## = ##\sqrt{20}## ? But if you plug that into ## \frac{|V|}{|T||U|}=sin(\theta) ## , the answer is not correct. Where am I going wrong?

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It gives you the correct answer.

What is ##\vec{T} \times \vec{U}##?

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5
    It is (0,0,10), so the magnitude of that is 10.

7. Feb 20, 2017 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, sooo...

$$\frac{|V|}{|T||U|} = \sin(\theta)$$
    $$\arcsin(\frac{|V|}{|T||U|}) = \theta$$
    $$\arcsin(\frac{\sqrt{100}}{\sqrt{10}\sqrt{20}}) = \theta$$
    $$\arcsin(\sqrt{\frac{100}{200}}) = \theta$$

Can you finish it from there?

8. Feb 20, 2017 #7
    Yes, I just forgot to take the arcsin of that. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted