1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors Design Angle Problem

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Determine the design angle θ (0° ≤ θ ≤ 90°) for strut AB so that the 400-lb horizontal force has a component of 500lb directed from A towards C. What is the component of force acting along member AB? Take ϕ = 40°"

2. Relevant equations

x-component: magnitude*cos(θ)
    y-component: magnitude*sin(θ)

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand what is being asked, I'm just unsure as to how I would get that AC component with what is given.

-Rybka

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Rybka. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Please correct this.

You have 3 forces, they must form a closed triangle. Struts exert their force in line with their length, so this tells you the directions of their contributions.

Are you given the correct answer?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 10, 2014 #3
    Good evening!

The solution is: θ = 53.5°, ForceAB = 621lb

5. Sep 10, 2014 #4
    I figured it out.

The position of the struts in the first diagram is confusing, but the fact that we're solving for θ means their shape is variable.

Once I moved things around a little bit, it all became clear. :smile:

Attached Files:

6. Sep 11, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It's always useful to know the answer. I was hoping you'd edit your post so it tells us exactly what is 40°. That would be useful for someone following along.

Good to know you worked it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted