1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors Dot Product

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if u and v are nonzero vectors, and theta is the angle between them then u dot product v = ||u|| ||v|| cos (theta). Consider the triangle with sides u ,v , and u-v. The Law of Cosines implies that ||u-v||^2 = ||u||^2 + ||v||^2 - 2||u|| ||v|| cos(theta). On the other hand, ||u-v||^2 = (u-v) dot product (u-v)... Simplify this last expression, then equate the two formulas for ||u-v||^2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to start! I thought of doing
    cos(theta)= uxvx + uyvy / sqrt[(uxvy- vxuy)^2] + (uxvx + uyvy)^2] When x and y are subscripts, because
    u= uxi + uyj
    v= vxi + vyj

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Expand the dot product ##(u-v) \cdot (u-v)## using distributivity.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    Yes I did that, and I get u^2 - 2uv + v^2.
    But as for the left side ||u-v||^2, I get [sqrt(u^2 + v^2)]^2 = u^2 + v^2.
    That isn't equal though.

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

Since u and v are vectors, you should write that as||u||2-2(u . v) + ||v||2. Now compare this with the law of cosines.

6. Oct 21, 2013 #5
    So how is -2 ( u dot v) = -2 ||u|| ||v|| cos theta?
    I don't understand. I thought once you take the norm of u and v you'll be left with -2 u times v cos theta?

7. Oct 21, 2013 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

The full expression before simplification is ##u \cdot u -2(u \cdot v) + v \cdot v##. The middle term is a projection, while the first and third terms are the norm of the vectors squared (which is also the projection of a vector onto itself)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted