1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors: Emergency Landing

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane leaves the airport in Galisto and flies 180 km at 68.0 (degrees) east of north and then changes direction to fly 260 km at 48.0 (degrees) south of east, after which it makes an immediate emergency landing in a pasture.

2. Relevant equations
    Trig equations?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I tried to use trigonometry to find any of the angles, but where I get stuck is, I only know the 2 given sides, that's about it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The first part of the trip will have a North-South Component [going North] and an East-West component [going East]
    The second part will had a North-South Component [going South] and an East-West Component [going East]
    Add the components separately [who knows, the North-South Components might actually cancel out] to get two over-all components from which you can locate the plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook