1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors equations

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    we have r = a + ut, r = b + vt, where a,u,b,t are all vectors and t is the variable for time. We need to show that the collision time is
    a.(b X u)/v.(b X u) where . is the dot product and X is the cross product.
    this is quite straightforward. we then need to find the time if a,b,u,v are coplanar. This means that v.(b X u) = 0, which is not allowed in our expression for the time as the denominator would go to zero. I can derive a different expression for the time using the scalar product,
    but I have a feeling this may be equivalent. I can't see why this eq'n would only apply when the vectors were coplanar.
    The question does not specify that a does not equal b and that u does not equal v. It might be that the two lines are skew and the collision never takes place (i.e time is infinite).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    so what is your question?
  4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    i just wanted to know what the time was if the vectors were coplanar. sorry if I rambled a bit in the question.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?