Finding Components of Vectors in the xy Plane

In summary, the textbook answer for finding the components of a vector is to use sin and cos for the 'x' and 'y' lengths, respectively.
ff4930
[SOLVED] Vectors, finding components

Homework Statement

Determine the x and y components of the following three vectors in the xy plane
a)a 10-m displacement vector that makes and angle of 30degree clockwise from the +y axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is x = 5.0 and y = 8.7
but I don't know how to get it.
I follow the textbook example, don't I do 10*cos 30 and 10*sin 30?
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you make the triangle(or parallelogram depending on what you draw). Use some simple trigs to find the side opposite to the angle and the the side adjacent to the angle.

Yeah, just draw the vector, remember that [tex]sin(\theta)=\frac{opp}{hyp}[/tex] & [tex]cos(\theta)=\frac{adj}{hyp}[/tex]

I looked through my textbook and is suppose to be
10*cos 30 and 10*sin 30 but why the textbook answer say component x = 5.0 and y = 8.7?

You have to be sure to read the problem correctly:

ff4930 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the x and y components of the following three vectors in the xy plane
a)a 10-m displacement vector that makes and angle of 30degree clockwise from the +y axis.

I follow the textbook example, don't I do 10*cos 30 and 10*sin 30?
Thanks for your help.

The vector makes an angle 30 degrees clockwise from the +y axis. If you want to use the +x axis as your guide, and you drop a perpendicular line from the vector, what is the angle from the +x axis?

Is it 60?

ff4930 said:
Is it 60?

Yes.

Using the 60 degree angle, you can use the (what I'll call) traditional sin for the 'y' length and cos for the 'x' length. Now your calculations should work.

You can also use the 30 degree angle. But you'd have to use sin for the 'x' length, and cos for the 'y' length. It's always helpful to me to draw a picture to help get the components correct.

But component of x the answer from the textbook says 5.0 and component y = 8.7
and when I do 10*cos60 is not 5.0 nor 10*sin60, why is that?

Edit:
my graphing calculator was on radians, and not degrees. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented as an arrow in a coordinate system, with the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector and the length representing the magnitude.

2. How do you find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you need to break it down into its horizontal and vertical components. This can be done by using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, and the magnitude and direction of the vector.

3. What are the uses of finding vector components?

Finding vector components is useful in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It allows for the analysis of forces and motion, and can also be used in solving real-world problems involving direction and magnitude.

4. How do you represent vector components mathematically?

Vector components can be represented mathematically using a coordinate system, where the horizontal component is represented by the x-axis and the vertical component is represented by the y-axis. The components can also be represented using unit vectors, which are vectors with a magnitude of 1 in a specific direction.

5. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive component. It is important to pay attention to the signs of vector components when performing calculations to ensure accurate results.