Solving a 25° North of East Walk: Exploring the Solution

• Thread starter Arooj
  • Start date
In summary, the correct answer is 1.31 north and 2.81 east, as the person walked 25 degrees north of east for 3.10 km. This can be solved by using the equations sin = opp/hyp and cos = adj/hyp, and starting at east and turning 25 degrees towards north.
Arooj

Homework Statement

A person walks 25 degree north of east for 3.10 km. How far would another person have to walk due north and due east to arrive at the same location?

Homework Equations

sin = opp/hyp
cos = adj/hyp

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a line representing north of east 3.10 km at 25 degrees.
../.
./..
/...

I then drew the lines for north and east

/\--->
|.../
|../
|./

I used sin 25 = opp/3.10
and cos 25 = adj/3.10

and I came up with the values 1.31 for east and 2.81 for north.

However, the correct answer is 1.31 north and 2.81 east, my values were mixed up.
Can someone explain to me where I went wrong and why this is the right answer? I assumed the bottom most point on my sketch as where the 25 degrees NE, because it seemed to be going in that direction at that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
You drew east of north instead of north of east.

"25 degress north of east" = start at east and turn 25 degrees towards north

You drew east of north instead of north of east.

"25 degress north of east" = start at east and turn 25 degrees towards north

I would like to first clarify that the given information does not specify the starting point of the person's walk. Without knowing the starting point, it is impossible to accurately determine the distance the other person would have to walk due north and due east to arrive at the same location.

Assuming that the starting point is the same for both people, your attempt at a solution is correct. However, the mistake you made was in the interpretation of the values.

The value of 1.31 for east represents the distance the person would have to walk due east to arrive at the same location. Similarly, the value of 2.81 for north represents the distance the person would have to walk due north to arrive at the same location.

In your sketch, you have correctly drawn the line for east, but the line for north is incorrect. It should be drawn at a 25 degree angle from the east line, not from the bottom most point. This is because the person is walking 25 degrees north of east, not starting at a point 25 degrees north of east.

I hope this explanation helps clarify your confusion. It is important to carefully interpret the values and directions given in a problem to accurately solve it.

1. What is the purpose of solving a 25° North of East Walk?

The purpose of solving a 25° North of East Walk is to determine the exact direction and distance needed to reach a specific destination that is 25° north of east. This can be useful for navigation, mapping, and other scientific or practical purposes.

2. How do scientists approach solving a 25° North of East Walk?

Scientists typically use a combination of mathematical calculations and physical measurements to solve a 25° North of East Walk. They may also use tools such as a compass or GPS to aid in their analysis.

3. What are the key factors that affect the solution to a 25° North of East Walk?

The key factors that affect the solution to a 25° North of East Walk include the starting point, the destination point, and any obstacles or terrain that may need to be navigated. Wind speed and direction, magnetic declination, and other environmental factors may also play a role.

4. Can the solution to a 25° North of East Walk be different for different individuals?

Yes, the solution to a 25° North of East Walk can vary for different individuals depending on their starting point, destination, and approach to solving the problem. However, the overall direction and distance should be consistent if all factors are accurately accounted for.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving a 25° North of East Walk?

Solving a 25° North of East Walk can have a wide range of applications in various fields such as navigation, mapping, surveying, and outdoor recreation. It can also be used in scientific research, military operations, and urban planning.