1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors help

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    Hi Guys,

I am stuck on a maths question for my first year of Engineering at University. Your help would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

I don't know where to start

Thanks guys o:)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to know: The equation of a plane containing [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex], perpendicular to the vector Ai+ Bj+ Ck, is [itex]A(x-x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0[/itex]. (For any point (x,y,z) in that plane, [itex](x-x_0)i+ (y- y_0)j+ (z- z_0)k[/itex] is in the plane and so is perpendicular to [itex]Ai+ Bj+ Ck[/itex]. The dot product of the two is 0.)

In this problem, the vector PQ is (3-1)i+ (1-(-2))j+ (2-(-4))k= 2i+ 3j+ 6k

As far as (b) is concerned, I'll bet there is a formula for the distance between a point and a plane in this same section of your textbook. To do it without that formula, remember that the shortest distance between a point and a plane is along a line perpendicular to that plane.
    i) Write the parametric equations, for x, y, z in terms of a paratmeter t, for a line through (-1, 1, 1) in the same direction as the vector 2i+ 3j+ 6k.
    ii) Plug those equations into the equation of the plane, from (a), to get a single equation in the single variable t and solve for t.

iii) Put that value of t into the parametric equations to get (x,y,z) coordinates of the point on the line and plane.

iii) Calculate the distance between that point and (-1, 1, 1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?