Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors help

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    Hi Guys,

I am stuck on a maths question for my first year of Engineering at University. Your help would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

I don't know where to start

Thanks guys o:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to know: The equation of a plane containing [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex], perpendicular to the vector Ai+ Bj+ Ck, is [itex]A(x-x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0[/itex]. (For any point (x,y,z) in that plane, [itex](x-x_0)i+ (y- y_0)j+ (z- z_0)k[/itex] is in the plane and so is perpendicular to [itex]Ai+ Bj+ Ck[/itex]. The dot product of the two is 0.)

In this problem, the vector PQ is (3-1)i+ (1-(-2))j+ (2-(-4))k= 2i+ 3j+ 6k

As far as (b) is concerned, I'll bet there is a formula for the distance between a point and a plane in this same section of your textbook. To do it without that formula, remember that the shortest distance between a point and a plane is along a line perpendicular to that plane.
    i) Write the parametric equations, for x, y, z in terms of a paratmeter t, for a line through (-1, 1, 1) in the same direction as the vector 2i+ 3j+ 6k.
    ii) Plug those equations into the equation of the plane, from (a), to get a single equation in the single variable t and solve for t.

iii) Put that value of t into the parametric equations to get (x,y,z) coordinates of the point on the line and plane.

iii) Calculate the distance between that point and (-1, 1, 1).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?