Finding Components, Projections of 3D Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the component, projection, and orthogonal projection of a 3D vector "b" along another 3D vector "a". The process involves using dot and cross products, as well as creating a right triangle and finding the length of the "shadow" of "a" on "b". The projection of "a" on "b" is found by multiplying the unit vector "bhat" by the dot product of "a" and "b". The orthogonal projection is found by subtracting the projection from "a".
somebodyelse5
I won't post the actual problem with numbers, I just need some direction. My teacher never went over this part of the webwork in class, and we haven't touched on it in physics either.

"a" and "b" are both 3D vectors.

1.) I am supposed to find the component of "b" along "a"

2.) I am supposed to find the projection of "b" onto "a"

3.) I am supposed to find the projection of "b" orthogonal to "a"

If somewhat could shed some light on what I am actually doing, and maybe give me some direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know about dot products? they could be pretty useful here...

lanedance said:
do you know about dot products? they could be pretty useful here...

yes, i know how to find dot and cross products. But its not as simple as just finding the dot product is it?

Draw a and b with their tails together. Drop a perpendicular from the head of a to the line of vector b forming a right triangle. The component on b of a is the "shadow" of a on b which is the b leg of that triangle and you can see from the picture its length is |b|cos(θ) where θ is the angle between a and b.

Notice that if you make a unit vector out of b, call it bhat that

[tex]|a|\cos\theta = |a||\hat b|\cos\theta = a\cdot \hat b[/tex]

If you multiply that by the unit vector bhat that makes a vector out of the "shadow" and that gives the projection of a on b. Subtracting that projection from a gives the vector forming the other leg of the triangle and that is the orthogonal projection.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. How do you find the components of a 3D vector?

To find the components of a 3D vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The x-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis. The y-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle between the vector and the y-axis. The z-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the z-axis.

3. What are projections of 3D vectors?

Projections of 3D vectors are the components of the vector that lie on a specific axis. For example, the projection of a 3D vector on the x-axis is the x-component of the vector. It represents the magnitude of the vector in the x-direction.

4. How do you calculate the projection of a 3D vector on a given plane?

To calculate the projection of a 3D vector on a given plane, you can use the dot product. The dot product of two vectors gives the component of one vector in the direction of the other vector. By taking the dot product of the 3D vector and a unit vector perpendicular to the given plane, you can find the projection of the vector on that plane.

5. Why are components and projections of 3D vectors important?

Components and projections of 3D vectors are important in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They help in analyzing and understanding the behavior and motion of objects in 3D space. They also play a crucial role in vector operations and can be used to solve complex problems involving multiple vectors.