1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors- Im really stuck

1. Apr 10, 2006 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hey. Heres the question:

Two boats are moving along straight paths and their position vectors at noon are:

For the first question, i assumed its initial position would be 0 hours after noon. So i just answered it as:

[tex]7\mathbf{i}-5\mathbf{j}[/tex]

Now i wouldnt have a clue if thats even close to being correct, but its the only decent answer i could come up with.

For the next part, i drew the diagram, and just found a vector going from the position of the first boat to the second, from the initial positions, which gave me the final vector:

[tex]4\mathbf{i}+18\mathbf{j}[/tex]

For part c, the velocity of the second boat, i just wrote how much the position vector increases for every incriment of t. I came up with:

[tex]-3\mathbf{i}-\mathbf{j}[/tex]

The problem with this was that the question said they were travelling in a straight line, and if i apply this velocity, then they change their direction. So im lost.

And with the final question, im stuck, because i cant really do it until i answer the previous ones correctly.

So if anyone doesn't mind, please put me on the right track for these questions, because i highly boubt ive answered them correctly.

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2006 #2
    You're first and third answers are right. The second should be 5i + 13j
    I don't see a problem there. It's a constant vector.

And for the last part, what's the relation between the position vectors of the boats when they collide?

4. Apr 10, 2006 #3

danago

Gold Member

could you explain how you got 5i + 13j please? I re did it, and ended with the i component being 5, but i dont understand how you got 13 for the j component.

And ill try the final question now.

5. Apr 10, 2006 #4
    Sorry, that was a typo. :redface:

6. Apr 10, 2006 #5

danago

Gold Member

so its 5i + 18j then?

Anyway, im doing the final question now. So to find when they collide, i need to find then their position vectors are the same, at the same value for t.

So do i just equate the components for each vector?:
    i 7-4t
    j -5+t

i 12-3t
    j 13-t

So then i need to find when the i and j components of both ships are the same. I got that when the i component of both boats is 27, the j component will be 4, so they will collide at:

[tex]27\mathbf{i}+5\mathbf{j}[/tex]

Im not sure if thats right :S

7. Apr 10, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found that the boats do not collide.

-Hoot

8. Apr 10, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can check if your answer is correct (whether they collide at your defined point), choose a vector equation and sub your values in for i and j such as this;

[tex]r_{1} = (7-4t)j + (t-5)j[/tex]

Subbing [itex]27i + 5j[/itex] into each component;

[tex]7 - 4t = 27[/tex]

[tex]t - 5 = 5[/tex]

Now, do they both return the same value of t?

-Hoot

9. Apr 10, 2006 #8

danago

Gold Member

yea i thought about it again, and no, they dont give the same values of t. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?