Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors in Hilbert space

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    In QM we require that an operator acting on a state vector gives the corresponding observable multiplied by the vector.

Spin up can be represented by the state vector [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex], while spin down can be represented by [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

As I understand the Hamiltonian is represented by an infinite dimensional matrix, because there is an infinite number of energy eigenstates. My question is, how can we satisfy both

[tex] \hat{H} \left | \psi \right \rangle = E \left | \psi \right \rangle [/tex]

and

[tex] \hat{L_{z}} \left | \psi \right \rangle = m\hbar \left | \psi \right \rangle[/tex]

when in one case [tex] \left | \psi \right \rangle [/tex] is a 2 dimensional vector, and in the other it is an infinite dimensional vector.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

different bits!

Hi Bobhawke! :smile:

I think the answer is that an electron say could be

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right) \sum a_n\psi_n[/tex] ,

and the rank-two L acts on the left bit, while the infinite-rank H acts on the right bits. :smile:

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    Ah of course I should have seen that.

Thanks tiny tim!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?