Physics: Vectors and Homework Solution

In summary: Then, use those distances and the time for the final leg to calculate the speed of travel and direction of the final leg.In summary, an off-roader drives west of north at 6.5 km/h for 15 mins and then east at 12 km/h for 7.5 mins before completing the final leg of her trip in 22 mins. The direction and speed of the final leg can be calculated by using the distances traveled in the first two legs and the time for the final leg. The diagram is not necessarily a right triangle.
sucksatphysic

Homework Statement

An off-roader explores the open desert in her Hummer. First she drives 25 deg west of north with a speed of 6.5 km/h for 15 mins, then due east with a speed of 12 km /h for 7.5 mins. She completes the final leg of her trip in 22 mins. What are the direction and speed of travel on the final leg? (assume her speed is constant on each leg, and that she returns to her starting point at the end of the final leg)

So I know how to do it, but i am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out the diagram...

can you tell me if it's a right angle triangle?
which angles do i use?

thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
sucksatphysic said:

Homework Statement

An off-roader explores the open desert in her Hummer. First she drives 25 deg west of north with a speed of 6.5 km/h for 15 mins, then due east with a speed of 12 km /h for 7.5 mins. She completes the final leg of her trip in 22 mins. What are the direction and speed of travel on the final leg? (assume her speed is constant on each leg, and that she returns to her starting point at the end of the final leg)

So I know how to do it, but i am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out the diagram...

which angles do i use?

thanks =)

Well, the first vector goes 25* N of W. So, draw a straight line going up, representing north. Next, draw a diagonal line going to the west but having the same starting point as the line to the north. The angle you just made is the 25* N of W, so it's 25*. Finally, she goes due east, which is a straight horizontal line right. The angle that line makes with the north line is 90*. The north line is now also the final leg of her trip.

With I could draw a diagram myself to help you, but I can't, so I hoped I helped.

sucksatphysic said:

It is not necessarily a right triangle.

which angles do i use?
See pbdude's response.

Also, you'll need to figure out the distances traveled in each of the 1st two legs.

1. What are vectors in physics?

Vectors in physics are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. How do you add and subtract vectors?

To add vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same direction. Then, you can simply add the magnitudes of the vectors together. To subtract vectors, you must first make sure they are in opposite directions. Then, you can subtract the magnitude of the second vector from the magnitude of the first vector.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and mass, while examples of vectors include velocity and force.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves squaring the magnitude of the vector in the x-direction, squaring the magnitude of the vector in the y-direction, and taking the square root of the sum of these two values.

5. How can vectors be used in real-life applications?

Vectors have many real-life applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and sports. They can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects, as well as to determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object. Vectors are also used in graphics and animations to create realistic movements.