1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors(linear independence)

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    Q: Is there a set of four vectors in R3, any three of which form a linearly independent set? Prove.

Okay so i know what linearly independent is, i have 3 vectors which are linearly independent but I can't find a fourth vector to satisfy the need of the questions like:

vectors: v1 = (0,0,1), v2 = (0,-2,2), v3 = (1,-2,1) these three vectors are linearly independent when you use Guassian Elimination on the matrix:

| 0 0 1 |
    | 0 -2 -2 |
    | 1 2 1 |

you get all the scalars equal to 0. So this satisfy the part where "any three of which form a linearly independent set" is written but the first part says need 4 vectors.
    Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2
    Surely come up with a set of three vectors in R3 that form a linearly independent set, right? Now, just add 4th vector that is id to all of them. This is eqivilent to finding a vector that is not parallel to any of the other three.

For example, if we were to ask for a set of 3 vectors in R2 such that any two of them form a linearly independent set, I would say v1=(1,0) v2=(0,1) and v3=(1,1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook