1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors notations.

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    So I am in a Calculus based Physics course and had some questions about converting to and from the component notation and the magnitude-angle notation.

The first is if I am in the magnitude-angle notation, in a Cartesian cordiante system, will it always be ax=a cos(theta) to get the x component and ay=a sin(theta) to get the 7 component. I am asking because I am a little confused, lets day if the vector is ib the negative quadrant 4, do we sill do the same process.

Secondly when going from components to magnitude-angle notation, we use arctan(ay/ax) to get the angle theta. But what I don't get is why, the book just says tan(theta)=(ay/ax) and though I know enough since I have been told to use the arctan, I dont know why we use it or why the book doesn't say this,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A vector can be written in component form as a=(ax,ay). The components of a vector can be found by constructing a right angled triangle and using trigonometry. As an example, consider the vector a at an angle θ from the horizontal. Now consider drawing a line from the end of the vector, down to the x axis. We now have a triangle involving the magnitude of a as the hypotenuse, and ax and ay, the magnitude of the components.

Using trigonometry on the triangle we can obtain ax=acosθ (where a is the magnitude of a) and tanθ=ay/ax.

4. Jan 28, 2007 #3
    I know that already, but why do we need to use a arctan instead of just the standard tan.

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

arctan is the inverse operator of tan, otherwise written as tan-1. So, given the equation tanθ=ay/ax, taking the inverse tangent of each side, we obtain arctan(tanθ)=arctan(ay/ax) => θ= arctan(ay/ax).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?