Converting Between Component and Magnitude-Angle Notations: A Guide

• Thread starter Llama77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: This is why we use arctan instead of just tan when converting from components to magnitude-angle notation. In summary, when converting from component notation to magnitude-angle notation, we use trigonometry to find the x and y components of the vector and then use the inverse tangent function to find the angle. This is because arctan is the inverse operator of tan and allows us to solve for the angle in the equation tanθ=ay/ax.
Llama77
So I am in a Calculus based Physics course and had some questions about converting to and from the component notation and the magnitude-angle notation.

The first is if I am in the magnitude-angle notation, in a Cartesian cordiante system, will it always be ax=a cos(theta) to get the x component and ay=a sin(theta) to get the 7 component. I am asking because I am a little confused, let's day if the vector is ib the negative quadrant 4, do we sill do the same process.

Secondly when going from components to magnitude-angle notation, we use arctan(ay/ax) to get the angle theta. But what I don't get is why, the book just says tan(theta)=(ay/ax) and though I know enough since I have been told to use the arctan, I don't know why we use it or why the book doesn't say this,

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector can be written in component form as a=(ax,ay). The components of a vector can be found by constructing a right angled triangle and using trigonometry. As an example, consider the vector a at an angle θ from the horizontal. Now consider drawing a line from the end of the vector, down to the x axis. We now have a triangle involving the magnitude of a as the hypotenuse, and ax and ay, the magnitude of the components.

Using trigonometry on the triangle we can obtain ax=acosθ (where a is the magnitude of a) and tanθ=ay/ax.

I know that already, but why do we need to use a arctan instead of just the standard tan.

Llama77 said:
I know that already, but why do we need to use a arctan instead of just the standard tan.

arctan is the inverse operator of tan, otherwise written as tan-1. So, given the equation tanθ=ay/ax, taking the inverse tangent of each side, we obtain arctan(tanθ)=arctan(ay/ax) => θ= arctan(ay/ax).

1. What is the purpose of converting between component and magnitude-angle notations?

The purpose of converting between component and magnitude-angle notations is to represent a complex vector in a simpler and more intuitive form. This allows for easier calculation and visualization of vector operations.

2. What is the difference between component and magnitude-angle notations?

Component notation represents a vector in terms of its horizontal and vertical components, while magnitude-angle notation represents a vector in terms of its magnitude and direction (angle).

3. How do you convert from component notation to magnitude-angle notation?

To convert from component notation to magnitude-angle notation, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the magnitude and angle of the vector. The magnitude is given by the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components, and the angle is given by the inverse tangent of the vertical component divided by the horizontal component.

4. How do you convert from magnitude-angle notation to component notation?

To convert from magnitude-angle notation to component notation, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component is given by the magnitude multiplied by the cosine of the angle, and the vertical component is given by the magnitude multiplied by the sine of the angle.

5. Why is it important to be able to convert between component and magnitude-angle notations?

It is important to be able to convert between component and magnitude-angle notations because different problems may require different forms of vector representation. Being able to convert between the two forms allows for more flexibility and accuracy in solving vector problems.